Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

underpowered Ampegs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squire_pwr, May 30, 2003.

1. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Hi, I'm looking for the main thread that talks about Ampegs and their supposed "generous" power ratings. I saw it mentioned in some other thread, but I never clicked on it and I can't seem to find it with the Search. Thanks!

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I was involved in that conversation. Let me see if this works:

over here

3. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I think this is what you meant to link (I was able to get the title from the link and do a search):

<a href=http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83759&highlight=ampeg+nuts> my ampeg is nuts thread </a>

I'm a little more interested in some Ampeg bashing... not that I have anything against them (well... their prices maybe :p), but just to help get a fuller picture of Ampegs. I am mostly interested in the power rating of the SVT350H and b2r, since those are the ones in my price range and it seems that the v4b/bh's are not strong enough (bummer). They should make a 200w tube or something.

But I digress. If anybody knows the thread that talks about Ampegs being underpowered or something similar, please leave a link or a thread title. Thanks for the help!!

4. The power rating on my SVP-Pro performs exactly as it should

;)

I use it w/ a PLX1602. It also records beautifully at practice.

5. Dman

Dman

Jan 25, 2002
    NJ
    I have a B2R and BSE410HLF cab and i think this thing sounds dam good.

It sounds awsome with my band(we play blues and R&B..

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  7. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Cool. Thanks a lot cb56. It's good to know they aren't lying!! And it's always good to be reminded that internet research only goes so far. :) Can't wait for finals to be over so I can actually go check out some gear...

8. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    squire_pwr, you mentioned you're looking into a B2R / 350H. I run a SVT 350H into a SVT410HLF cabinet and I find that it's just not powerful enough; that is, I push it as hard as possible shy of clipping and it has difficulty competing with a 50 watt Marshall MKII head and fairly heavy handed drummer. I dig the head's tone, but it just doesn't get loud enough in a heavy rock context. Just thought I'd mention it.

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've got a B50R which is rated at 50 watts. I should send Ampeg a nasty email to complain about it. It is way too loud for a 112 50 watt combo! It also sounds way too good for what it cost.

What's up with that?:)

Chuck

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have an early ('94) SVT III Pro...one of the most aggregious offenders of the Ampeg watt phenomenon. With one 8 ohm cab, it's rated at 275 watts. Trust me, they are small watts. With two 8 ohm cabs, it is rated at 450 watts. My experience after nearly a decade with this amp, is that in a full-on rock context without PA support, one cab doesn't cut it. However, with two cabs, I have never been without enough ooomph. Tone is absolutely fabulous. My advice to all is to moderate your stage volume. If you are trying to cover a large venue by blasting your backline because you don't have PA support-think again. If the PA is too weak to handle the full band mix, cranking the backline is just going to drown out your vocals and create a muddy mess. Rather than put your bucks into multi-cab, gigawatt, megastack rigs, think about investing in a capable PA and carrying small stuff up on stage for the backline. Took me decades to realize that massive stage volume is not good...for the musicians or the audience. Bought the PA. Result: I am downsizing my rig as even the backfeed from the PA covers my sound better than having to crank a big rig. The overall blend is much better, our stage volume is embarassingly tame...and we can still part hair out in the cheap seats!

Kim

11. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Thanks for all the replies and input!! Though I have yet to go test out amps, I'm beginning to lean more towards GK gear because of the affordability and the seeming lack of complaints from the heads above the 400RBs. But, one does not buy amps on others' opinions alone, so some hours messing around at guitar center will be well spent. :)

babecker, thanks! I thought I had seen complaints similar to that, but haven't been able to pin it down.

Chuck M, if only all amps were so outrageously and horribly made!! :p Don't worry, cb56 answered my question perfectly and I am no longer worried Ampeg might be lying to us (cuz they really are!!! :eek: ...just kidding :p).

And rok51, good insight. I guess 1000w rigs aren't EXTREMELY necessary. ;) No worries there though, my pocketbook will ensure I don't overdo the rig.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an Ampeg SVP-1500 power amp that I use with a SVP-PRO pre amp & it's ANYTHING but UNDERPOWERED. :)

13. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    werd i also have the 94 ampeg SVT III pro, but i only run it with one 8 ohm cab. its still loud. i jam with it on about4 or 5, but it hasn't been at a smaller show w/o an uber-PA. its loud. i really want to add another 8 ohm cab and hit 4 ohms. i love the tone of this amp, i scored it for only $350 bucks. if you can find one, they rock. dont' get a new one, get a used one. everything works perfectly and sounds amazing.
    The B2r is okay, but its but its no SVT-III Pro. just check one out, im sure you'll love it.

14. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    In my band I use the B2R with an Ampeg SVT610HLF and I cut through fine. One of my guitarists uses a Peavey 5150 100 watt tube head and the other a Peavey MK Ultra 3 tube head I believe. Both with Mesa 4x12's. I'm pushing it pretty hard but it still sounds good and I only clip when I play really hard (which is I believe how it should be? or so says the manual) .