Underrated Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LadyLoveStingRay5, Jul 4, 2022.

1. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    There are several threads on this subject for bassist.

What basses do you feel are underrated and overlooked by most ?

What makes these basses stand out to you?

I’m going to start by saying Sandberg. These are some of the best small factory builds that I’ve ever played. I put them on par with Fender Custom Shop and Ernie Ball MusicMan for build quality. The necks are superb and the attention to detail is quite impressive. Boutique level at or below top factory custom shop prices I’d say. They seem to keep them lighter weight than most.
    My Sandberg TM-5 Ida

E510F8E9-8503-4029-B94D-A5F460AF20C3.jpeg

2. Pyrat

Pyrat Supporting Member

Gibson SG Std. After four and a half decades of playing I found the bass that fits like a glove and the SOUND! Standard.jpg

3. They're long out of production now, but the second incarnation of the (USA) Hamer Cruise Bass from the '90s is an excellent Jazz Bass that can be had cheap.

4. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    The G&L tribute line is underrated, the sound and build quality is fantastic for the price. The mia basses are well respected but the tribute line deserves more love for the intermediate bass range.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think your leopard bean bag lounger makes the Sandberg stand out.

giphy(19).gif

6. @LadyLoveStingRay5, so you think Sandberg will catch on with Americans in time? My understanding is that Sandberg is still relatively new to the U.S. market.

7. Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Aug 10, 2018
    Southeast!
    The MIA Peavey Cirrus. Whenever I use that bass people compliment the sound. Easy to dial in, easy to play and it's on the lighter side. Mines 8.4 lbs. MIA Peavey Fury too. Kind of a Jazz neck and p bass sound. I got mine from some guy in Chicago that mailed it to me wrapped in a bunch of NEWSPAPER and it only needed minimal set up to play great.

8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Yamaha! Just bought a TRBX 174, it smoked the Squiers and Ibanezs in the similar price bracket. The BB234 was great too.

2FF0E8D1-EF29-4CFA-B73B-F312B446431F.jpeg

9. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Overwater have a name but not the recognition they deserve. I’ve had their fretless Explorer for more than 30 years and haven’t played a nicer instrument in the same class.

10. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I sure hope so. If places like SweetWater and other large online retailers carried them , they would get into more peoples hands.

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sandberg isn’t being carried by the biggest online retailers but, as far as I can tell, they’re very highly regarded in the US and not underrated at all.

12. I was pleasantly surprised by the Orange O Bass. Purchased on a whim. It is what it is, but my example was way better than expected.
    7D2F7D12-BE09-45C9-A0EC-F714535C78E0.jpeg

13. ZombiiBass

ZombiiBass Check out my band Zombii!!!!!!!! Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    I love my Sandberg basses. Literally the easiest playing basses I’ve ever owned. I sort of hope they don’t get picked up by a bunch of huge online retailers though…I’d hate to see them have to adjust production and lose that attention to detail that they have now.

14. P-Belly Evans

P-Belly Evans

Mar 11, 2021
    My 2013 Thunderbird. Apparently you can only play rock on them, the headstock will snap as the horrific neckdive takes effect, you need Mr Tickle arms to reach the first fret, they sound muddy and undefined and the bridge is a POS.

What a load of poopie.

Mine has no neck dive, has a wonderful slim fast neck, produces the most unbelievable growl with such precise lows that I still can't quite believe it and I play Funk, Northern Sould and can slap like Larry Graham on it with ease. It also sounds great with flats.I also don't mind the bridge at all......

I've included a hip hop track I played it on to highlight the great tones it can produce. Put some headphones on to appreciate the defined lows under the growly bitey mids (be careful though, it is a bit sweary)

IMAG0336.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2022
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Kiesel.
    Where are you gonna get a 1 pc swamp ash body, ebony, quarter sawn, 18v active/passive with full passive tone control too, blocks, thin skin paint, builder takes the time to finish the headstock, stainless frets, top quality hardware and electronics, fully shielded, 100% handmade in USA and it arrives fully set up to your preference and perfectly intonated for around $2,500?
    upload_2022-7-4_10-21-8.jpeg

skyline_01, MaxSpinrun, Lo-E and 19 others like this.
  16. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    KeithPas, darthplagis, Pop C and 14 others like this.
  17. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

I'll add Reverend. The quality and workmanship is way above the price. I also second the Sandberg.

One Way, petch, Guy Tensen and 18 others like this.
  18. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Ritter, I don't know why everyone doesn't own one.

19. heartily agree :) these sg basses get a bad rap and people love to rag on them, i think in some cases because some folks haven't realized that they area different animal than the old eb’s of the 70s. Love my 2014 sg special

20. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    Yamaha BB 7__ series. I have a BB734 that just smokes basses that are above its price range. P and J p'ups and active/passive electronics with the treble acting as a passive tone control...and the active EQ is fantastic too. Mine has TI jazz flats and plays and sounds amazing.

Also, Reverend. Pretty much every Reverend bass I've ever picked up is absolutely awesome.