underrated bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by scottos150, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who would you guys say are some underrated bassists? I'm doing an art project on underrated bassists and need some help finding people to do it on. Thanks
  2. paul gray (#2) from slipknot, rayna(ex coal chamber bassist),ryknow from mudvayne, but i wouldnt really call him underrated, those r pretty much my 3 favorite underrated bassists
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Underrated, Sting - he's world famous for being singer songwriter, his bass playing is equally phenominal, but is rarely mentioned by anyone other than bassists.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Paul Jackson, played with Herbie Hancock on Headhunters and numerous other of Herbies jazz-funk albums, I don't see him mentioned too often...
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Holy SH*T yeah. The bass on headhunters and Thrust is awesome. Brilliant.
  6. John Glascock - played with Jethro Tull in the late '70's. Check out the 'Heavy Horses' album - fantastic playing!

How about Greg Lake of King Crimson and Emerson Lake and Palmer? He doesn't get talked about much, but anybody is bound to get overlooked with Keith Emerson stealing the show at every opportunity. And he did play an awful lot of what Keith played with his left hand. Not so easy.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    John Taylor, the Duran Duran guy.
  8. andy rouke from the smiths is a real smart bassist but no one ever mentions him.every thing he plays fits perfectly
    not mad flashy but complements jonny marrs guitar work

9. andy rouke, deffo, suck a distinctive sound that made the smiths, also, duff, hes a guitarist really but his super song consious bass lines are wicked.
  10. ...just like The Cure's Simon Gallup.
  11. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    how about DEREK SMALLS from SPINAL TAP! i'm sorry about that i'm on a spinal tap kick,ever since i got laid off its all i watch, I think SIR PAUL MCARTNEY(i think i spelled it right)he is an awesome bass player who gets credit for being a phenominal writer,but not for being a great bassist.
    before i took up bass i played drums for 20+ years,and if you had said PAUL was an excellent bassist i would of laughed at you(for days)now that i know a "little" about bass playing(and i say that because compaired to some of you guys who have been doing this for decades my year and a half seem minimal)i know believe in my heart he is one of the best bass melody writers,yes there are guys that can out slap,out pick,and out chop for chop him(?)but is there many that can out write him bass line for bass line? IMO i think he is a genius and believe he does have some bass parts that are melodically perfect
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Theres a mega thread on this in the FAQ, you shoudl find much valuable information to help you with your project there.

under-rated bassists

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.