Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underrated Doublebassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Bijoux, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    There are always musicians that are very well known, and I always wonder about the great musicians that go through life and never get their props. I like a bunch of guys, and I never hear anything about them. So back when Ron Carter, Paul Chambers, even back when guys like Walter Page, Red Callender, etc were playing and getting some sort of recognition on some level, other guys were just make a living as musicians and even though they might have even recorded with some important Jazz figures they are kind of forgotten.
    Well, I'll start with Larry Gales. I never heard much about him, awesome sound!!!

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Mike Todd from Coheed and Cambria, you have to listen real hard, but its good.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Mark King --- he gets brought up .. folks forget he has the tightest finger style out there.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
  6. i 2nd that

7. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Disclosures:
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Really f***** up . . . these guys don't play doublebass, do they?

That's Larry Gales on DOUBLEBASS in the video . . . :cool:

:rollno: :meh: :rollno: :meh: :rollno:

8. Eugene Wright-He's known but not as well known as Carter or Chambers.

9. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Disclosures:
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Check out George Tucker on Jaki Byard's 1965 masterwork Live! at Lennies. It's an AMAZING disc -- Jaki plays the entire history of jazz virtually all at once, and Joe Farrell never sounded better. Mr. Tucker brings together elements of Charles Mingus, Oscar Pettiford and Scott LaFaro to form a unique style which was grounded yet progressive for the moment. He died later that year at 38.

+ + +

Scout for two now-overlooked forces of seventies jazz, Clint Houston and Stafford James. In the 70s those guys were part of a crew of working NYC players like Larry Willis, Bill Hardman, Frank Strozier, and Carter Jefferson who made powerful, subtle modern jazz music that seems to have slipped under a bushel basket these days.

+ + +

I think that Michael Moore is overlooked. His two duo records with Rufus Reed are just so sweet. His live duo record with Bill Charlap is a piece of subtle, quiet strength and totally in the moment. Bill Evans' Getting Sentimental bootleg lets you hear Mike auditioning for The Bill Evans Trio, on Sunday at The Village Vanguard! And it is impossible to say enough about his work on Bob Brookmeyer's Live at Sandy's, the two disc masterpiece from the same period.

Somebody else's turn now!

10. There are a few threads here where we talk about the unsung heros of the bass.
    We mentioned several West coast players who spent years in the Hollywood studios....Bob Whitlock, Monty Budwig, Curtis Counce, Joe Mondragon, Bob West, Jimmy Bond, Carson Smith and his bro, Putter, Ralph Pena, Al McKibbon, Jim Hughart, John Heard, Albert Stinson (heavy enough to have worked with Miles), Bob Badgley and many more who were great bassists and very strong and even famous jazz bassists in those days.
    Walter Booker, Whitey Mitchell (Red's bro).
    Larry Ridley and Jim Ferguson (down in Nashville who is a great singer and bass luthier as well) are two of my personal favorites.
    Our own Ed Fuqua and John Goldsby, IMO, need more attention and are personal favorites of mine..
    Oh, and Sonny Dallas and Neal Miner.
    Oh, and.........

11. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ralph Peña is a bad dude.. I need to get some more stuff with him on it. The article about him in the ISB mag a few issues ago was really great (with some really sad stuff at the end of course).

12. I dint see that article, but he was an old friend and the duo stuff he did with pianist (one was called "Impossible") Pete Jolly were really beautiful. Also the Jimmy Guiffre Trio with Jim Hall was great as well.

13. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Andrew Simpkins, Isreal Crosby and I'd be remiss not to mention Butch Warren are all on my list of under-hypeds.

Plus 50 years of a whole bunch of local guys that most of us have never heard of.

14. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I cast my vote for Jymie Merritt. I dig the Messengers albums he played on.

Also Joe Comfort. Not a lot of flash, but lots of swing.

15. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I'll second Jymie Merritt for his work with the Messengers but my favorite tune is Angela which I believe he wrote for Lee Morgan

16. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Jim Hughart is actually a rather new TB member who has only posted on the BG side so far.

17. George Washington Morrow did some tempos wif Brownie and Max......:eek:

Oh and +1 on Andy Simpkins. I used to cop his lines and his sound when he was with "The Three Sounds" then met him later with Sarah.

18. nickbass

nickbass

Apr 29, 2005
    Northants, UK
    Canadian Dave Young has great time and sound, and is wonderful with the bow as well!

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And I generally whine unmercifully until I get it.

20. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I saw Stefon Harris a few years ago with Tarus Mateen on bass. He played some really cool stuff that night - threw some funk and reggae feels into the mix in places I wasn't expecting to hear it. All around, he came off to me as Not Your Average Jazz Player.

21. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    We do this thread every so often, and Don Thompson always pops into my head.

And Brian Torff.

And yeah, +1 on Dave Young.