1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Underrated "Gene" songs of off Kiss albums

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blazer, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    [​IMG]
    Well, let's be honest, Gene Simmons is an icon, no two ways about it and many of us picked up a bass thanks to him.

Now we can take any Kiss album and find that it always follows a specific formula.
    1. The sing along anthem.
    2. The ballad.
    3. The Gene song.

So what is a "Gene song?"
    Well, it's the song with which Gene Simmons acts out his demon persona, often by spewing blood on stage or by appearing with his Axe bass.
    [​IMG]
    The best known Gene song of them all is without a doubt "God of thunder", with "I love it loud" a very close second. Those two songs clearly showcasing that there are two types of Gene songs. "I love it loud" is an in-your-face declaration, whereas "God of thunder" is more of a "I'm lurking in the shadows, watch out when I appear." slow, ominous song.

But let's talk about the Gene songs which aren't as well known but would fit in so well with the blood spewing performance.

First up, from "Carnival of souls", "Hate"

Okay, this one is just full on, I can just see the flame pots blowing if the band launches into this song, which is very unlikely.

From "Music of the elder", the first of two songs I'm gonna name from that album; "Under the rose"

It isn't too hard to see Gene's demon persona as some kind of entity, who is ready to pass judgement on a young would be hero. But it could also be a father speaking to a son kind of song. It has that slow, Ominous vibe I mentioned earlier but is also very grand. As if the one he's addressing is shown just how vast the challenge is that he must face.

Now to his own admission Gene Simmons "Wasn't there" during the eighties, so the band and Gene himself had something to prove. And their aptly titled "Revenge" album started off with a long overdue Gene song.

"Unholy" is right in your face and definite proof that even without his make up Gene Simmons was indeed THAT Gene Simmons.

And here's the second "Elder" track "Mr. Blackwell"

Well here we are in "God of thunder" territory, slow, brooding, very dark and menacing. Kiss never toured to support "The Elder" but this could have replaced "God of Thunder" for the blood spewing act.

They say the sting is in the tail and "Creatures of the night" had not one but TWO Gene songs, the first is "I love it loud" and the second one is the album closer.

"War machine" just had it all, a gut punching riff, Eric Carr's cannon fire drums and Gene's demon persona in full swing. It was a fitting closer for Kiss' first make up era.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My favorite is Goin Blind.

danesdad, catcauphonic and StevieMac like this.
  3. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    And On the 8th Day from the Lick It Up album.

4. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em, Naked City, Dance All Over your Face, and Secretly Cruel. You guys know the 80's weren't the best years for the bass, but the ones I've picked up from that decade are still awesome songs.

I'd also mention Plaster Caster because as simple as that one might seem I truly see genius in it. Gene captured very well the tension of the topic in the song with the repetitive bassline that drives it through. Great stuff.

5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I haven't much listened to anything after the first 2 double Alives and the solo albums, but they were the first band I went wild over as a kid and made me aware of what a bass guitar was.

Deuce,
    Watchin You,
    Goin Blind,
    She,
    Calling Dr Love,
    God of Thunder,
    War Machine

Some of the first lines I tried to figure out when I picked up the instrument decades later were his :bassist:

Edit to add: I do love Gene the bassist, but it's definitely a case of sometimes best not to know too much about your musical heroes... He's a contender for worlds biggest Deuce-bag :woot:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  6. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    But then again, the thing that's redeeming about that is that he isn't hypocritical about it. He'll go "That's right, I AM a Deuce-bag and let's be honest, aren't I the biggest Deuce-bag ever?" come on, you just got to love an attitude like that, no shame in his game and kudos to people like that.

danesdad likes this.
  7. The odd thing about "God of Thunder" is that it's a Kiss song sung by Gene but written by Paul. Paul sang the original demo (which is included on the 2001 Kiss box set), but Bob Ezrin thought it would be better if they slowed it down and had Gene sing it.

RedVee likes this.
  8. Interesting to see a KISS thread on here, since most "musicians" seem to write them off with little to no regard.

Plaster Caster, Deuce, Love 'em Leave 'em are some of my favorites, though not necessarily the ones that bring to mind the blood routine.

Thanks for the thread, I'll be following it!

9. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Christine Sixteen. Childhoods End. X ray Eyes. Larger Than Life. Parasite.