Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underrated recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Oct 26, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Have you noticed that major artists get a load of publicity and hulabaloo everytime they release a new album, even if it sucks, while many lesser known artists record great albums that hardly anyone notices? I'd like to learn about some great but obscure albums out there that you might have heard, not necessarily for the bass lines. Here are two of my favorites:

Captain Swing, by Michelle Shocked. This album is all over the place stylistically, It has Rock N' Roll, Jazz, Country, Bluegrass and God knows what else. Some people say albums like that lack cohesion, but Michelles's voice keeps it all together. Great arrangements too!

Shelter, By Lone Justice - Very 80s but hell, it was the 80s. Great songs and musicianship. Lead singer Maria McKee is now flying solo.

Will C.:cool:

2. I mentioned this somewhere else, but there was a band called Overwhelming Colorfast that put out a couple of terrific albums back in the early 90's. I think they're out of print, unfortunately. It's basic two-guitar, bass and drums power-pop, but they did a lot of cool stuff in the studio.. there are string arrangements on some tunes, and the songs overall are just great.
    Another great and underrated rock band is Sloan.. I think they're still around. Any of their records is worth checking out. They had one moderate "hit" song, but they never really flew into the mainstream radar.
    Also, I love Alex Lifeson's "Victor" album from a few years back.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    My latest recommendations for ignored female vocalists deserving wider recognition:

1) Marisa Monte's new album features terrific bassplaying, including some nice lines by Melvin Gibbs. The singing isn't too bad either. :)

2) Patricia Barber's "Nightclub" has some great, very upfront upright work by Marc Johnson, as well as guest appearances by Charlie Hunter, he of the Novax 8-string guitar.