1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Understanding the Ohms (yes, again!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kingkeld, Mar 5, 2013.

1. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    Hi gang,

Here's my dilemma:

I own a Line6 Lowdown HD750 amp. Specs says 750W (4 Ohm) or 375W (8 Ohm).

I own a Line6 Lowdown 410 cab. 600W (8 Ohm).

Now, I wanted to buy a 2nd cab just like the one I have, but two weeks before be ordering, Line6 seems to have taken this cab off the market in Europe (Gee, thanks a LOT, Line6!!!).

So, I'm off to find new cabs. Sigh. Too bad, I really like what I have, but I do want a 2nd cab, to fully utilize the amp, and to have versatility of one or two cabs as needed.

I am hoping to fine two identical (other brand) cabs, that has somewhat the same features.

So I found the TC Electronic BC410 cabs. 500W (4 Ohm). And this is when my little brain starts melting. I can't figure otu the ohms.

If I buy two of these, what will essentially happen? Do I risk overloading my amp, or do I simply cut the wattage to 375W and won't get to fully use the capacity of the amp?

What happens if I only play with one cab? Alternatively, would this mean that I could drive FOUR such cabs on my amp and so all 80's-metal? :)

I hope someone can help me getting my pea brain around this.

Thanks!
    Keld.

(and no thanks, Line6 - I'm still mad at you!)

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    8 ohm plus 4 ohm equals 2.6 ohms, which your head won't like. Either look for a matching cab used, or sell it and buy two different 8 ohm cabs.

3. How many people are you trying to play to without PA?

4. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    Lowfreq33, I'm not looking at mixing 8Ohm and 4Ohms.

I'm simply looking to replace my 8Ohm 600w with (maybe) two 4Ohms.

I'm curious as to what this will do to volume/wear on both cabs and amp.

Why is it that the amp won't like 2.6 Ohm? Sorry if this is a n0b question - I really have no clue about this. I appreciate your time.

5. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    Downunderwonder - I'm not really looking at playing massive crowds with no PA. However, I do play with a very loud and energetic drummer - and my Line6 Lowdown 410 cab doesn't really cut through alone. I always end up in the "no high frequencies as I am placing the cab on the floor" or the "no bottom as I am placing the cab on a table". Seems logic to me that two cabs would fix this.

At the same time, I am hoping to have a "full set" of bass gear, to have what I need for whatever situations may come up. I like the idea of two 4x10s.

Also. Looks pretty frickin' cool. LOL.

6. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    Now that I think more... I see a lot of 4 Ohm cabs out there. Is the preference generally 4 Ohms and not 8? Would there be a point to buying 4 Ohms AND an amp that can better handle this?

7. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Two 4-ohm cabinets together allow a 2-ohm load. If you use two 4-ohm cabinets you will need a new amp (now or later:() that will be 2-ohm load capable.

Two 8-ohm cabinets together will work with your existing head, allowing safe 4-ohm load.

One 4-ohm cabinet will work with your existing head, allowing safe 4-ohm load.

[​IMG]

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You can't do that. I'll make it simple for you, in the most common cabs.

You can have one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs.

If you connect one 4 ohm cab and anything else, you risk blowing your head.

If you connect two 8 ohm cabs and anything else, you risk blowing your head.

9. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Two 4 ohm cabs equals 2 ohms, which your amp can't do. Either buy one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs.

10. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    I appreciate all your answers. Things are slowly dawning on me. :)

Next question is then, of course, to find proper cabs to my liking and financial ability.

Thanks guys!

11. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    If you like your amplifier then I'd recommend finding some 8 Ohm cabs that suit your needs.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, if you want to use 2 cabs, they MUST be 8 ohms each. No other options.

13. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    I went ahead and ordered a TC Electronic RS410 (8 Ohm) cab. It'll have to go hand in hand with my Line6 (8 Ohm) cab until I one day decide to get another TC. Hopefully they don't sound TOO different, though most of the time I'll probably just use one.
    ...and hopefully the TC is an upgrade from the Line6. It's about twice the price. :)

Again, thanks for your thoughts, comments and patience.

14. You should have plenty with that lot.

15. Because your amp is only 375 solid state watts at 8ohm, if you plan to keep it I would look at a single 4ohm cab or a couple (small) 8ohm cabs. My main gigging cabinet is an ampeg 410he and its 8 ohms so it would be starving for power with that head. It's tough because power ratings from brand to brand and even within a brand are normally all over the place. So I'd recomend you try as much gear as possible. Try to mix amps and a cab of different brands also. Years ago I mainly played full peavey and swr rigs. There was something I just didn't like about ampeg gear. Then I played a gig were an 810e was provided for back line and I was able to use my SWR head. I bought an 810 like a week later and have used nothing but ampeg classic cabs since. Later figured out that odd sterile tone I heard some other ampeg users use was from the solid state ampeg heads they used. So if you ever desire to get a ampeg head get the all tube svt classic or vr.

16. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    Just wanted to post a final update on this.

I ended up getting the TC Electronic RS410 cab.

It sounds frickin' AMAZING with the Line6 supporting it. However, I can CLEARLY see that I'm gonna be buying an extra TC further down the road. It has a LOT more oomph to it and I really like the sound.

1o9ug3k.
    Rock and roll!