Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Understanding the SVT-350H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by life.x, Feb 3, 2006.

1. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    Does anybody use an Ampeg SVT-350H head? I was wondering if you have the same problem as I do, when using High Gain pickups and clipping like crazy even at like Gain level of 3? I think it might be my 410HLF; I don't know, someone please help.

Aaron

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Is the poweramp clipping, or the preamp? First, try turning on your "limit" button. That should prevent the poweramp from clipping, or at least help some. If the red "clip" light is flashing, it's your preamp. Do you have the "Pad" button in? That should allow you some more flexibility in the gain. Also, extreme EQ settings cause amps to clip more easily.

3. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    Heres a link for you. Read it and experiment with your settings. An active bass should have the "pad" button pressed in. Adjust your gain so your light just flickers a little bit when you are hitting your bass hard. Use the optocouptler limit switch on the power amp.

http://ampeg.com/images/panels/SVT-350Hpanel.pdf

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This amp is known for clipping at seemingly moderate levels. Best thing to do IMHO is get another amp.

5. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    Yea it's the "limiter" right next to the input so if it is the preamp, can i use a Sansamp to limit the input from my bass and boost the gain on my head?

6. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Is the pad switch depressed? Are you using extreme EQ settings?

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I never could understand the Ampeg SVT-350. Weighs about 40 pounds, but only puts out half (maybe) the power of a Peavey Firebass. Looks sort of like an SVT, but not powerful enough to gig with unless you're backing up some folk singers.:eek:

8. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    i have the same problem everyone keeps telling me to hit the PAD button but that makes the amp sound soooo much quiter and we cant have that now can we..... I just have to live with this amp till i can get some money to buy a new one

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    It's SUPPOSED to do that. Pad the input, and then turn the gain up til the peak light just barely flashes on your hardest hits, and then turn the master volume up to where it's loud enough. Don't worry if you have to turn it up 6 instead of 4 or something.

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Thats what a pad does. You compensate by turing UP the input gain. If you are cliping the preamp, the amp will distort.

*** hey you beat me to it Dan1099!

11. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    Yea the pad is not depressed and the EQ is not turned becasue i know it draws a lot power into it, but the pad really turns it down especailly when practicing and you have you ear plugs in and you can hear everything else save the bass.

12. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

Well, I owned the amp and did trade up for more power, however I play loud. It has ample power for most gigs. 350 watts rms into a good EFFICIENT 4 ohm cab I would think would be enough.

Weight of a modern amp is irellevant nowadays. Ampegs svt 8, at 2500 watts...weighs 23 lbs.

13. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    It's SUPPOSED to. That's the POINT. Turn it on. Turn up your master volume. Problem solved.

14. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    Frustrating...ain't it?:meh:

15. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    ya dude just use the pad turn up the gain 'till it clips on hard hits and turn up the master to taste just like all above have suggested. I play the 450H into a 610hlf and am often told to turn down by my guitar players. Your head should be loud enough you just need to know how to use it properly...

16. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego

I want to slap you in public.....

Im not joking, I really want to

17. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Just because I'm tired of repeating the same thing to you three times doesn't mean I deserve to be slapped.

I said the same thing, over and over, and people keep saying "BUT THAT MAKES IT QUIET!" I own the amp in question, and gigged with it for a year. It is supposed to turn the volume down, and you are supposed to use the volume in the poweramp up to make up for it. That way, you don't clip the preamp. Thereby, solving the problem people in this thread are having. It's in the instruction manual, for christ's sake.

So please explain, why is it you want to slap me?

18. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

Dan, just move on. I owned the amp also...a chimp could follow instructions better......