1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Understated Wood Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ezmar, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

Jul 8, 2010
    How many people, in a wood toned bass, world prefer a very simple, understated design in the wood as opposed to lots of figuring? Mostly for Custom basses, where the builders are using choice woods. I've seen a lot of bases with really nice top woods, but for me, there's something about a simpler look that's better. Maybe it's just my synesthesia associating the bass itself with the sound, but lots of figuring, no matter how beautiful, just doesn't do it for me. Anyone else feel this way?

Also, my opinions on this are completely separate from your standard finished basses, like Fender or Ibanez or the like. That's a different category for me. I'm talking strictly unpainted wood basses.

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Check out some of the Ash Fbasses. The only figuring is the wood grain, and George sure knows how to pick em.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I like all kinds of wood finishes, but Prefer wood with some depth and shimmer to them, I have heard this referred to as chatoyance, glow like a cat's eye. Looks rich to me.

There are some woods that are so flat and extreme (buckeye burl, et al) that it looks more like somebody barfed on the bass than wood grain.

Has to still look good from row seven back, not look like an accident happened.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I don't know how to make the photo smaller, but this is... :eek:

BN5-nat-black-black-hardware-front.