1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Understatement of The Year

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 29, 2009.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Here's your chance to quote the statement that you think qualifies for "Understatement of the Year". I'll post my candidate so that you get an idea what I'm talking about, as well as my inspiration for this thread......

I was watching a documentary on Killer Squid. This guy was talking about the special lightweight armor he wears when he goes diving to film them. Here's the fun part....

"The chest plate is really important, because if the beak were to go in here, it could go through the ribs and puncture a lung and sea water would rush in around the lungs and heart. That would make me uncomfortable."

Really? Uncomfortable? How 'bout freakin' DEAD?!?

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Was it from Guinea Pig? The guy actually tried to get bit, and he wore this cool armor.

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I was listening to NPR a couple of days ago and they were interviewing some professor of economics. After about two minutes of describing to the listeners about the numerous plans that add up to trillions of dollars in spending increases in order to stimulate the economy, he then described how most of it would have to be simply printed up by the Treasury because there are too few investors willing to cover the increased debt.

Finally, he said something like, "It has been suggested that a certain amount of inflation may occur as a result of this and there are those who say we might want to consider the possible implications before too long."

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I heard that too. Actually made me think of Hbarcat.....

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No. This was a documentary on Animal Planet.

6. Heard the same thing, probably two or three days ago when I was sitting in the drive through at Wendy's.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm pleased that I'm not the only TBer with a NPR tendency.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    A friend of mine, whom I have known my whole life told me he was at a party and had a few to drink, not drunk, just a few. Im 16, so is he, thus making it illegal. He said he had a few, and I believed him. I have never drank, smoked, or done drugs. Ever.

Saw a video of him on a friends phone laughing at the wall, and then saying he is a pretty princess.

Yet," he only had a few. Wasnt smashed. ."

9. NPR is addictive.

10. :)

this-is-npr.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If only I could get the girlfriend hooked. Every time I hit the NPR preset she can't change it fast enough.

12. I'm almost 21 and I find this hilarious.

13. I just found the "I have never drank, smoked, or done drugs. Ever." cover up funny, in case his parents saw, or he thought someone would come track him down and arrest him.

14. P. Lacey

P. Lacey

May 15, 2008
    Might have been to show that he has a huge degree of inexperience in this area, yet even he could tell his friend was pissed as a fart? I dunno, that's what I took it to mean

15. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Haven't you ever heard of youtube?

No vid... No pretty princess...

16. I took it to mean "btw, I'm totally angelic and would never do anything like this" :p

17. I was never one to listen to news programming until only recently. Kentucky was hit pretty hard by an ice storm this past January (over a half million people without power initially), trees, power lines and telephone poles so heavy with ice that they just laid over on the ground for more than a week.

For thirteen days I had no lights, no Internet (auuuugh!) and not a whole lot to do while the interior of the house was around 20 degrees. The only radio station that still had power that I could get on the little battery operated radio I have was the local public station that runs NPR and BBC programming along with some of their own.

After a couple of weeks, I was hooked.

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Guess I need to change the title of this thread to "NPR or Carrots? Discuss"

To say it's been hijacked would itself qualify as an understatement. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

19. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    my boss mentioning that she "can see how would be slightly annoyed by the General Manager's style of nitpicky micromanagement". This was after I told her that I "questioned the abilities and worth of the General Manager in even the smallest and most trivial applications".

20. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I think I saw that documentary with the bio-luminescent squid that where attacking fisherman, and the guy with the crazy chain mail who goes swimming with them to study them?