Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Undertaking my first project: need advice.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by philthygeezer, Jan 5, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Hello,

I bought an SG bass body with a Musicman pickup in the bridge position. I want to add another pickup at the neck but I'm concerned about string width. Would another MM pickup at the neck be too wide for the strings? Am I better of going with a Jazz pickup at the neck?

This is my first project and it's scary but fun. I'm going to be doing all of the finishing and electronics, but I'm not much of a woodworker so I need to get this done at the factory.

Thanks much for any advice you could provide!

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There is not a whole lot of room and the MM neck pickup would be louder than the original one. Best to go with the J sized pickup if you even add one at all.

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks FBB, I took your advice and ordered a Jazz out front; I wanted it to be a little different than my Stingray.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The MM/J setup is a great one. You won't regret your decision.

5. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Sweet.

I want to stain the body in a deep blue and then get a place like Maaco to spray the clearcoat. I'll experiment will different coloured fillers and sanding techniques on scrap ash to get something really striking with the grain. I'm thinking a deep royal blue with jet black open grain fill. Or maybe I'll dye it an emerald green first, then sand it back a little and soak it in royal blue... :)

1. For even coverage, would it be best to fill an old baby bathtub with the diluted dye, and immerse the body in it rather than painting it on?

2. Do you fill first and then dye?

3. Where would you get scrap ash to practice with?