1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Underwhelmed by Tonehammer; VT Bass next port of call?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Apr 15, 2010.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Hey folks,
    I bought a tonehammer but it doesn't quite do what I'm after.

I'm after a grindy, fat tone, whereas the tonehammer seems to give me tone that whilst reasonably bass isn't fat and the mids are quite hard to dial in where I want, and end up sounding honky rather than sturdy or growlly.

The tone I'd like is deep, growly and grindy but doesn't disappear to far in the mix.

Overall, I'm wondering if the VT Bass will be a better option for what I'm after.

My rig consists of a Warwick Streamer LX with NP4's and Dimarzio Model J's, a 97 MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe and they're going into an Ashdown ABM500 Evo III + Mag 410t cab

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I looked at the lit on those myself recently and decided its treble and mid controls wherent where I wanted em freq wise. That just got me looking back at onboard preamps. Ended up getting and rather liking the Basslines blackouts 2-band eq for my bass that wanted new electronics for active preamp addon. Its 5.2-6khz treble choice works great for that grindy but not harsh treble content, and both boosting and cutting without it sounding annoying when boosted or overly treble shy when cutting like the preamps lower other treble freq option does.. I'm into deep, dark, growly, grindy, crunchy, heavy soiunding bass myself. I think basslines and emg could do that with fat rather then dark variation too. Lol. Can you afford to equipt both basses with new preamp rather then just single pedal for both?

If pedal is gonna be your best choice, I'd suggest the Seymour Duncan SFX-06 Paranormal Bass EQ to be honest. For those kinda sounds. Its got the right imo choices for mid and treble freq centers. And bass is excllent freq center choice too imo. Specs like the onboard blackout preamp I went with minus the mid control.

3. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    To be honest I think I'm after the grind of the VT bass overdrive rather than the preamp ability of it.

I don't think Tone Hammer is doing it for me overdrive-wise and I don't seem to be using it much.

So I'm wondering if the VT Bass could be a good overdrive pedal as well as an amp modeller?