1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wanted Underwood Bass Pickup

Discussion in 'Wanted: Double Basses, Amps, & Accessories' started by jon3673, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

I used to have an Underwood on all of my uprights, but moved to a different style a few years back. I now want to go back to the Underwood, but need a couple more to accomplish this task. I don't have to do this immediately, so I'm hunting for the best price.

2. I have a K&K Bassmax if it helps? It should sound very similar as it is the same type of pickup and installs in the wing just like the Underwood.

3. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

Yes, I've used the K&K in the past and was very pleased with it's response and sound.
    I have experimented with a few others since I posted my previous request and have been very pleased to find the Hurley pickup. It's response seems to be very similar to the Underwood and mounted easily on a bridge that had been set up previously for an Underwood.
    I acquired the Hurley and a Shadow SH-950 at the same time. I was impressed with the Shadow, which physically looks like an Underwood, and I feel that it may make a good replacement. I have not installed the Shadow yet, because it requires that I modify my bridge (the pickups are much thicker than the Underwood). However, when my last Fishman Full Circle craps out (I've had 3 of them fail!), I'll install the Shadow on that upright.
    Again, the response is great and the installation was easy with the Hurley. And the price was great! In addition, I was able to easily modify the connector receptacle to mount on the tail piece like the Underwood.
    I've only had it in use for about a month, so we'll see how it goes.
    Hopefully, my problem has been solved!

4. Sounds like you do have it solved!

:thumbsup: