Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underwood repair

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by D.W., Mar 19, 2004.

1. D.W.

D.W. Guest

Would anyone know where I could send my underwood pickup for a repair? One of the contacts seems to have given up on me (I use it as a backup for my gage, or when I have to use another bass with no pickup). Thanks.....Dave

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm sure that if you contact Lemur or Elderly they'll give you Mr. Underwood's contact info.

I bought my first one in 1978. It came with a lifetime warranty. Mr. Underwood has honored it twice as the first two wore out. He did say, though, that I'll have to pay next time, and I think that's plenty o' fair.

Good luck.

3. D.W.

D.W. Guest

Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try..........Dave

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Don Underwood.
    P.O. Box 303
    Carmel Valley, Ca 93924
    831-659-4501

Truly, one of the nicest guys in the industry.

5. D.W.

D.W. Guest

Thanks for the address, I'll give him a call.....D.W.

6. Has anyone else had multiple Underwood pickup failures?
    Over the past two years, I've had no fewer than THREE different Underwoods go haywire on me - in the middle of performances!

I would switch the elements from one bridge wing to the other, or swap out cables, and get temporary relief. But invariably, the g-h-r-r-r / crackle / distortion would return.

The amp (a young Genz-Benz) and the cables have been thoroughly checked out, and given clean bills-of-health.

There is ample spacing in the slots of the bridge wings. I've used wood and cardboard shims.

The Underwood family has replaced two of the pickups, but now I'm paranoid. Before yesterday' concert I sanded the bass slot wider and inserted a Revolution Solo. It was a bit too punchy for me - I prefer the Underwood sound, with all its well-described shortcomings - but at least I had two sets of bliss without fear of electronic failure. (My musical failures were quite another story, but for those I had no one else to blame.)

Is there someone among you with electronics smarts who could explain how, after some minutes sans distortion, an electronic piece can begin losing its character and interfering with the signal? Much obliged.