Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underwood v. (old) Fishman, wood v. hybrid

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Jan 13, 2003.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Da Mook was over tonight and we got to play with pickups a bit.

The players:
    Fully carved bass, Isabella in this case,
    Strunal hybrid, name not known.
    Newer Underwood pickup
    Newer Fishman, defribulator (classic) model.
    Newer Walter Woods amp
    Hevos 10" cabinet with adjustable tweeter.

The results.
    The Underwood
    works great on the Strunal.
    Sucks on Isabella.
    The Fishman
    sucks on the Strunal and Isabella both, although there are some qualities that I like.

As far as the cabinet's participation in this experiment, the inherent midrangy-ness of the cabinet exacerbates the nasal qualities of both pickups.

Underwoods are still a good choice for ply and hybrid basses I believe. Not so good for wood fiddles...

2. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I think that maybe the underwood doesn't sound so good with good carved basses because it makes everybass sound pretty much the same, so we end up loosing some of the qualities that we like about our carved basses, sometimes I wish I had my underwood back because if you are dealing with loud clubs, loud musicians, anything loud the underwood seems to deal with those situations, but you do have to settle for that electric kind of sound, but if the fight is over I'd just deal with that!:)

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    To my ear the old "de-fibrillator" Fishman is the worst-sounding pickup ever foisted on basskind.

4. Hey Ray, those exersises have been great thanks!

Yeah, I have to admit that last night was the first time I heard the Fishman without the preamp in a while, made me remember why I don't like it.
    As for the Uderwood, I felt it worked really nice on the Strunal, it delivered more low end and less finger noise than the Fishman. I really wish I new about this site before buying a pick up 2 years ago.
    p.s. Ray is not only a great player, but a great guy. If anybody gets a chance to see him play or hang with him, do it!

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Thank you, and the same goes for the Mook.

Those fingerings have been working for me -- let me know if you ahve any questions on them...

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I finally found my hot-melt glue gun and tried mounting the old Fishman directly to the bridge with a small dab of glue. I positioned the elements about 1/2" away from the edge of the bridge, based on some advice I'd read hereabouts.

Result? Significantly better than mounting the Fishman with the clips, plus they can't pop off unexpectedly. Not great, but better. So far I've just tried running it directly into the Clarus' hi-z input. I rolled off the Brite control to eliminate some of the noise of the fingers sliding on the strings, but otherwise left everything flat.

From my own experience and that of those I read here I see a pattern emerging independant of the specific pickup manufacturer. The edge of the bridge is the worst place to get the full sound of the instrument, and the table (as with the Dyn-B), the best. The foot of the bridge is a good compromise position, and the adjuster less so. I recall someone posting that they placed the fishman elemenst under the feet of the bridge with good results; I wonder if there's a safe way to attach them to the table itself?

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I ran into a guy a couple of years ago who swore that fishman pickups sounded great if you used the clip to mount them to the inside of the f holes. I don't know if this really works or not since I don't own a Fishman, but it's an interesting idea.

8. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hello,
    I mounted mine with the clips on the top at the f-hole(bass side) after seeing the great bluegrass bassist Mark Schatz doing this on his instruction video. There was a significant improvement of the sound quality, a much woodier tone. The downside was that the pickup got less resistance to feedback.

Oystein

9. Everyass?

I don't know if that's a typo or not, but its one hell of a useful pronoun!

10. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    very sorry, I already fixed that.;)

11. I have tried using my Fishman attached to the top of the bass behind the bridge feet. I attached the elements to the top with regualr 3M two face tape as far as sound goes I would say it did alot for that pick up, it almost sounded useable without a preamp. bottom line though, it's still a Fishman, taking it off didn't do any harm, but then again I have a Strunal with what seems like the finsh they used on old Chevys.
    Mike