Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underwood

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bijoux, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I just got a underwood pick up and was wondering if you guys have experience with it, I was using the Realistic, but it was a bit boomy, so now the underwood sounds almost noise in the mid and high end, I have to put a little paper in beetwen the pick up and the wings on the brigde, being that the element was falling off, what are your experience with the underwood? thanks so much.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've been an Underwood guy since my second Polytone died (and yes, I did know about the garbage bag tie trick :).

The Underwood will be generally on the thinner and more electric side of things, especially if you have it mounted too loosely. Mount it too tight and it will choke. I actually ran the Underwood with through my trusty old GK 200MB with the EQ flat, but the trick was to keep the volume low and yank the hell out of the string to get a more acoustic sound. If you play light you'll sound like Creed Taylor on a bender.

3. Ray,

I play an Underwood through a GK, and you just described my modus operandi to the letter. I just ordered a KK Power Pack preamp, and I'll be curious to hear the results with my setup.

One thing I can say about Underwood is that it is durable. Mine has provided almost 20 faithful years of service.

As far as shimming the paddles to fit the bridge slots; my Underwood came with a few small wood shims and recommended their use over matchbook covers etc.

MG

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Another good shim material is the color ads from the Sunday paper. This stuff doesn't seem to compress. This is only if you don't have wood shims, of course.

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm also a 20+ year Underwood user. You want it to fit tight but not jammed-up. They do have a top-end "zing" which a sound-guy told me is a spike at about 6200 Hz.

For the past little while, I've been using both the Underwood and the Realist together. Give that a try if you can.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Also be sure to use an impedance buffering preamp with your Underwood.
    Pickup loading gives a nasal, brittle tone.
    The K&K is a little short with its 0.92M ohms input impedance, but the Fishman is great with its 10M ohms.

HTH.

7. Samuel,
    How do you mix your underwood and realist?

8. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I have an amp with two channels. It's a 1982 Walter Woods WW-1.

9. Samuel,
    Do you think that I could get the same result with a
    blender (Fishman or Raven labs?) even if it is one more
    thing to carry and plug on every gig!
    I use a SWR WM12 combo.
    Thanks in advance for the answer.

10. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    You could perform the same function. If you like the amp enough to invest in $xxx of outboard gear, go with it. Try those pieces out in a store -- see if you find the sonic difference is worth the investment. If not, at least you have a spare pickup in case your #1 gets cooked.

11. clorentzen

clorentzen

Aug 10, 2000
    Does anyone know any online or mail-order retailers who sell the Underwood pickup? I'd like to buy one, but can't find any info for them online anywhere. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

best,

--Carl.

12. clorentzen

clorentzen

Aug 10, 2000
    Ray, Francois --

Thanks. A friend of mine recently ordered an Underwood from Lemur and was told they are backordered for about 3 weeks...Are there any other retailers out there selling the Underwood?

thanks,

--Carl.

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I had to wait a bit for mine, too. I think that they're under-producing them to keep capitol in the market instead of in cardboard boxes in the back room :)

14. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Hey, the interest and investment rates are so high, who can resist!??!

15. Re: the comments on the Underwood.....

" Top end zing"
    " Noise in the mids and highs"
    " Backordered"
    " Thinner and on the more electric side of things"
    With all due respect.......why do you guys torture yourselves like this?
    Bob (All Hail) Gollihur must be chuckling at these comments so let me say it for him. Try the K and K Bass Max...or if you have, try one again. Whatever its failings (and I haven't come across any after using it on two different basses over the past 3 years in every venue you can imagine) I'll bet the Bass Max won't include any of the shortcomings you Underwood users have mentioned. I have enough problems with finding the right strings and my lousy technique, without having to worry about my pickup.

Regards

MartinC

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Gave a BassMax to my student. Hated it. It works ok (OK) for him, particularly giving the price he paid (nothing). Running an Underwood now.

The Double Bass Max looks interesting. I'd like to see if it has some of the good qualities of the Fishman without the bad. But, another day.

17. After taking my Underwood off and on over the years, I kinda forgot which paddle goes in which slot. I can't really tell the difference when I switch them around.

I'm assuming that the side with the jack attached goes on the bass side. Right?

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Remember, the Double Bass Max is a custom pickup which resembles a Bass Max version of an Underwood.....as far as I know, only two have been made by K&K. Were you thinking of another pickup, maybe? I would say that if you hated the Bass Max, you'll hate the DBM, but then I hated the BM at first as well. Now I'm running a DBM and a Trinity mic, and couldn't be happier.