Undoing a defret job?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gord, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    I'm in posession of a bass that someone had the brilliant idea of defretting. It's quite poorly done and I want quite badly to put frets back on. How easy is this procedure? I know refrets are fairly expensive. Price isn't a factor, I like the bass, but god this looks terrible
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you take a searchy in the setup section (I think,) some guy refretted a bass of his. I'm not sure where it's at, but if you can't find it, i'll search for you. :)
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The lines need to be recut accurately, requiring a special saw, and ideally a jig. Available at stew-mac, but pricey for just one job, you'd spend almost that much on someone qualified to do the refret.

Even after installed, the frets need to be levelled and recrowned, requiring additional files. For a one-time shot, it really is probably cheaper just to have it done by a qualified tech.
  4. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Sounds complicated! I really wouldn't try it on my own, I guess I was just wondering if such an operation was possible. Thanks for your guys's help, I'll go look for that thread!
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Setup. Moved.