Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unecessary noises and sounds effects on albums......

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Anyone else here get somewhat annoyed when certain bands add a certain amout of noise effects or silences on their albums. I'm not talking about actual intros, just weird sound effects they add that don't really have anything to do with anything.

Sonic Youth does this a lot, so does Mr. Bungle, Tool (occasionally), and a few others i'm sure you guys could name. The song will end, and then there is 4 minuts straight of unecessary dead space and ratteling or humming. I was listining to a Sonic Youth record on my 6 hour drive last night (I had to drive in a blizzard to get here because my University has a policy where they don't cancell classes under any condition, no joke) and it occured to me I would enjoy this much more if they would just cut out all the BS and just play the frickin songs. What do you guys think?

2. You've probably missed the entire point then...

Edit: You listened to Washing Machine didn't you?!

3. I agree. I buy CD's to listen to music, and I don't consider ambient noise and wierd sounds to be music. Fortunately most of the bands I like don't do that sort of thing.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    One mans junk is another man's treasure. Now, at the end of Jaco's Chromatic Fantasy, I enjoyed the couple minutes of pointless noise at the end ;)

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Skip tracks if you dislike the outro.

I like it even better when they add the ambient/nonsensical noises to the music. Godspeed You Black Emperor does this alot (flys buzzing, street peachers, BB Finagen, etc.)

6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I don't even know, it was either that or Goo, those are the only two I own.

7. Mars Volta does it a lot. It sounds good most of the time, especially when you're listening to the album as a whole. I can understand how it can get annoying, as I'll sometimes skip ahead if I just want to hear a certain song.

8. I enjoy the type of music. It's original. I like bands that "just play the song" but thats one things I also like about SY. They don't play the song. Sometimes noise is the song. Burning Spear, one of best songs they ever made, is just noise made by guitars held together by a bass line and vocal melody. Personally, I can understand how you might not like ambience in the sense of like reverbs and delays, but ambience can also mean distortion and the way something is played...

9. If the point is just to make noise, then I don't think I want to get it.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dig it.

As a matter of fact the last band I went into the studio with had some fun with this.

On one track our guitarist held different notes to feed back and recorded several different tracks of one note each and blended them in at the end so that as the song fades out, the noise fades in. We also took some of that noise and slowed it down so that its a deep rumble you need real good subs to feel.

We also used pick scratches and slides to get weird squeling chirping noises on some tracks, and had the guitars kick in with tons of feedback in certain parts.

The intro to the album was our guitarist pounding out a Bb (first chord of the album) while his amp warmed up which gave a cool sweel effect.

11. btw: for those of you with a cheap guitar and two pickups...

Put a drumstick UNDER the strings and between the pickups. If you drop a metal slide on the strings between the drumstick and the bridge, with the bridge pickup solo'd, it sounds like raindrops!

12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Jaco used random noises.

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I love ambient sounds; just seems to add to the music's story.

14. You must hate Pink Floyd.

:smug:

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

MR.BRAIN OT is for non music topics. Moved.

16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    ^ Sorry

Actually I love Floyd, as well as Sonic Youth and those types of bands (If you have any suggestions for bands I might dig lets hear it, I'm always looking for new bands to listin to). It's just sometimes I long drives when you just want to put a cd in and leave it, the dead space can get a little annoying. Espically on mix cd's that I make. I suppose I could just edit the Mp3 if it bugs me that much.

17. I see your point, when you just kinda want something thats a little more "generic" then having an intellectular avant-garde statement... Not that good driving music.

But Sonic Youth is just really about avant-garde exploration. While not ALL of their songs have noise, they definitly have noise influences...

oh, and what ever you do, run from Glenn Branca. You'd hate him.

18. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Hell I buy albums that are nothing but weird noises, feedback and hiss. Some of the best shows I've seen were noise shows, admittedly, the experience live is different from the recorded sound, but I still like it.

http://www.irfp.net/can_tMP3s/NewEngland/Lullaby.mp3
    ^
    Yeah, this stuff? I eat it with a spoon, delicious.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you are ever in Miami you should check out my buddies' band Noveltype.

20. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Do they have a website?