1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uneven bow between bass and treble side?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluesy_92, May 17, 2011.

1. bluesy_92

bluesy_92

Aug 25, 2008
    On my bass (a 2008 MIM Fender P-Bass) the neck "bows" slightly more on the bass side (e-string side) than the treble side. When I press the first and last fret down on the e-string, I have more action at the 12th then when I do the same to the g-string. I think my neck may have a twist, but I'm not sure. Is it normal for the e-string to have more "bow" on the neck? If this is a problem, I can see it getting worse, since wood tends to do it's own thing, so I may have to replace the neck :(

BTW: The bass is, at least at the moment, still playable.

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Press down F1 & F15, not F1 & F20whatever, check @ F7 for relief.

3. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    The neck is twisted. Not uncommon. Also, not a major issue if you have slightly more relief on the bass side than the treble side. Unless it is radical, bass necks with a slight twist can generally be set up to play well.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Do you have the same problem if you take the strings off?

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the majority of basses i own and play have slightly more relief on one side than the other. vintage or modern. they all still set up with "blow on the string" action.

6. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    How far off are they....I checked and all three of my basses have a Credit Card width on the G (1st fret-15th fret checked at 7th) and touch the 7th fret on the E string. So I guess all my necks are warped?

7. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    There's a reason why some basses have dual truss rods. It's for those who actually worry about stuff like this (as well as for wide 5-string+ planks).

Again, this is NOT a bad thing. In fact, it actually works out quite well, because the lowest strings will scribe a bigger arc when struck than the higher strings, necessitating a bit more clearance. Logically then, it actually MAKES SENSE to have a tad more relief on that side of the fingerboard. This is what usually makes basses with this "defect" an easy setup.