1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Uneven Response from GK-3B + V-Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrewtaranto, Jul 30, 2012.

1. andrewtaranto

andrewtaranto

Apr 8, 2012
    Hello, posting here because vguitarforums seems a little anemic on the V-Bass front...

I picked up a GK-3B and a V-Bass (not the VB-99) on ebay, mostly to experiment with upright models. I put the pup on my Jazz bass and things seem to work pretty well. However, I'm having issues with the A string (and the E to a lesser extent). The G and D sound good, but the A seems to have this missing bit of dynamic range in the middle. It registers softly-played notes as soft; plucking harder still produces a tone and volume like a softly-played note; then suddenly it registers loud notes as loud (there's a similar problem with the E, but not nearly as pronounced, so it's a little hard to tell yet if it's something I can live with).

(I THINK that describes it OK; there might even be some unevenness between a softly-played A string note and softly played G/D string notes, which you'd think could be compensated for with string sensitivity tweaking, but it's a little hard to tell.)

So if you imagine graphing the response of the different strings, the G and D seem to have nice smooth gradations from soft to hard, whereas the A string might have more of an S-curve or a stair step (and the E string to a lesser extent, maybe).

I think I've ruled out problems with the action (i.e., string-pup distance), as well as the sensitivity setting on the V-Bass (boosting the A significantly only seems to raise the relative volume without addressing the uneven response). I'm wondering if I have either a slightly defective pup (I suppose I could test by shifting it up/down one string, so the middle marker is either between the E/A or the G/D), or maybe the way I have it mounted is creating some strange resonance (or lack of resonance; I have (4) 1/2" x 3/4" tabs of foam tape evenly spaced along the pup holding it on, seemingly securely), or maybe it's something inherent in the bass itself (It's a Fender Jazz with a Modulus neck and a Badass II bridge). Or possibly some other adjustment I'm not aware of?

Any ideas welcome!

2. I'd start with repositioning the pickup, &please let us know how it goes :)

I have no experience with the V-Bass - my GK-3B plugs into an Axon AX-100, which in turn drives a Roland XV-2020 synth (half-rack) from its midi-out. My pickup responds consistently across the 5 strings (apart from expected low-freq latency).

Peter Sharp
    Ballarat Australia

3. andrewtaranto

andrewtaranto

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. It actually IS a repositioning: originally I had it on with only two tabs of tape, and the pup came loose. When I reattached it, it went on at a VERY slight angle, but the response on the A string just about the same, as far as I can tell.

But I will probably try repositioning it so the pup's middle is between the G+D or A+E; I'll probably also try it on my 6 string, though I'll have to figure out how I'll fasten the control housing (Modulus Quantum, so I've got at least one pot in the way of fastening it to the body).

It's a pity, because I really like the results I get from the acoustic models, on the strings that work well. :meh:

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here