Uneven rosewood fretboard glued joint

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hajimawardi, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Hajimawardi

Hajimawardi

Aug 13, 2021
    Hi
    Recently i found uneven rosewood fretboard glued joint on my fender jazz bass. Its thicker on the 1st to 4th fret.. and got extremly thinner on the mid part, and then its get thicker on 15th to 20th fret.
    I spend hours and hours, trying to achieve clean sound before my luthier found this issue on my bass. If i sand the fretboard, i will sacrifice the playabilty due to higher action, and i dont want to put anything to raise the neck. Im already had conversation with the store. Has anyone got the same issue?

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    No

3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    send it back , especially since there is a problem playing it because of that . I would think it needs a fretboard resurface and refret to correct it. If it's more than cosmetic send it back .

Fingerz likes this.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    If sanding the fretboard creates higher action, lower the saddles and the nut. But if the relief is right now and the board is level don't sand it - it will do nothing of value, only create sawdust and cost you a refret.

wcriley and Grinderman like this.
  5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    So you understand what's going on, this neck has had the fingerboard resurfaced (to flat) to correct for a backbow. At some time in the past, the neck warped into a backward curve; the center was high. So, somebody pulled the frets and recut the fingerboard surface, making it flat again. Then they refretted it. That's why it looks the way it does, thinner in the center and thicker at the two ends. Because the fingerboard is. But the top surface of the fingerboard, and the tops of the frets should be flat now. That's why the surgery was done.

If the frets are now flat and level, then you should be able to adjust the setup, and it should play nicely. The thinness of the fingerboard is just a cosmetic thing that you can ignore.

If you are having trouble with the setup, and can't get the relief and action into a playable range, then the frets may not be level any more. The neck may have moved some more or some frets may have lifted up, or something. The frets should be checked and re-leveled if needed. There shouldn't be any need to pull the frets and resurface the fingerboard, unless the condition is really bad.

From here, it sounds like the neck needs a good fret level and dress, and a correct setup.

Zooberwerx and Grinderman like this.
  6. Hajimawardi

Hajimawardi

Aug 13, 2021
    Thank you, really appreciated it
    Is it "normal" for a brand new bass? I just got this bass brand new..
    Its american professional jazz bass

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If it's a brand new bass, thats a pretty serious factory defect, return it yesterday! Plenty of Fish in the Sea.

Lammchop93 and RSBBass like this.
  8. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    if this is a new bass I would return it ASAP.

9. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hold on, don't return it just yet. I'm searching for the right meme to put here about the importance of context.

10. Hajimawardi

Hajimawardi

Aug 13, 2021
    Thanks for all your feedbacks
    I sent my bass to my local store, however..
    I just realized, is it possible the fretboard is thicker due to tapered neck profile to the headstock? My bass has same radius along the fretboard, I dont know.. its my first fender rosewood fretboard
    When i got to the store, i found at least american professional jazz, american ultra tele, road worn MIM, even MIJ strat.. they all in the same condition on the fretboard, its thicker on first fret

11. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles

I don't see why that should be the case or how it makes sense.

1. The arch or sweep of fretboard radius should start where the edge thickness of the fretboard is consistent.

2. If what you're asking were in fact the case or true, due to consistent taper down the neck, the geometry would not result in your fretboard being thinnest at the middle of the neck, between the nut and the last/20th fret.

I suspect the finished thickness of your fretboard, thinnest in the middle, is a function or result of something else in Fender's work flow in making the neck. It could be a fundamental mistake being repeated in the line of production.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That’s a factory eff-up, plain and simple. If a fretboard has a continuous radius along its length, the board may be a hair thinner at the bridge end, because the farther the edges are from centerline, the further they “ fall” from the centerline high point, but they don’t start thick, get thin, and the thick again. That must have been bowed when the fretboard was machine surfaced. Are you sure it wasn’t a return or “second”?

Grinderman likes this.
  13. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Sometimes I feel the urge to apply for a Fender factory job in Corona just get inside for a while to see how the sausages are really made.

Then I think of the 1 to 1-1/2 hour commute and 'just-for-the-hell-of-it' becomes too hellish.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  14. Hajimawardi

Hajimawardi

Aug 13, 2021
    Thank you for all your nice feedbacks

I think i agree, the factory is messed up. I bought this bass from the authorized dealer listed in fender website. So im pretty sure that this bass is perfectly new
    Yesterday, i give the bass back to the dealer. However they need to check it first, trying to get the neck flat using standart setup (trussrod, action etc) by their "technician".
    If the technician fail, then they will concider to swap it with the same brand new model, or another model with the same price, or refund.
    Tbh idk what to expect.. lol

15. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    If it were me, I'd be prepared to insist that Fender make it right, even if I had to be a dog-with-a-bone about it.

If it were me, I would have also paid for it on a credit card so I could dispute charge, if need be.

16. Hajimawardi

Hajimawardi

Aug 13, 2021
    Haha.. wish me luck then, ill bring my armor

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022