1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uneven sound between strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chrose1201, Dec 2, 2018.

1. chrose1201

chrose1201

Sep 23, 2007
    Upstate NY
    I wasn't really sure what to do a search for for this topic so I will post the question and apologize in advance if this turns out to be common. I have returned to the bass in a band after many years of playing guitar in bands. What can I say I love both! To that end I bought myself a 2001 EBMM Stingray which turns out to have a bad preamp. I am thinking of replacing it with a SUB passive setup (which is another thread) For last nights gig I returned to the Peavey Cirrus 4. I use a Hartke TX600 with a pair of HD112 cabs. The Hartkes apparently are known for lo volume so I cranked the OD to just under where it flashes and had the volume set at somewhere around 10:00 and the low end was pretty strong on the E&A strings, however when I played the D&G strings anywhere on the neck really the volume and strength of the tone just disappeared! I have not been using this amp and bass on a regular enough basis to really know why so I hoped someone can shed some light on the lack of dynamics here. I don't know if it is a Hartke TX issue, and active pup issue (god knows it can't be me :thumbsup::laugh: ) I appreciate the feedback (pardon the pun) Maybe I need a better head and passive bass. BTW we play primarily classic rock from the Beatles through to some 80's. Thanks much!

2. chrose1201

chrose1201

Sep 23, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Ok so I will reply. I took the same bass to practice and used the head there which is a Peavey headliner 600w and lo and behold the D & G strings rang out just fine! Guess maybe the issue is the Hartke TX600 after all....

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    1.) Putting a passive control system in a Stingray is blasphemy :smug:

2.) Try boosting mids and/or lowering lows

4. chrose1201

chrose1201

Sep 23, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Well now that I know I have a bad preamp in the Stingray (or at least suspect) something is definitely wrong. Maybe all I need to do is get it fixed and get a new head as the Hartke just aint' cutting it!

5. chrose1201

chrose1201

Sep 23, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Ok so as much as I hate to admit it, the fault appears to be mine and not Hartkes! I set the ohm rating on the cabs wrong and was trying to pump a 4 ohm load into 2 ohms.... My bad. Next weeks gig I will try and do it correctly and see how that works out for me :)