Uneven string volume...Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gypsygeek, Mar 12, 2006.

1. gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    Hi y'all,

I have an SX Jazz copy that I've been playing with for about a week now. Yesterday I finally got around to putting new strings on (Fender 7150 nickel roundwounds) and the E is significantly louder than the other 3. Any ideas? String height seems OK, and the pickup height is likewise reasonable looking. Bad strings perhaps? I don't have a spare set handy, and would rather save the coin if that's not the problem.

2. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There's a small possibility it's a bum string - ... but probably not.

Don't touch your string height if it's working for you.

Start with the pickup. You say the height of the pickup looks right, but if you are getting uneven tone, maybe it's not. Tighten down that side some and see if it helps.

3. I agree. Start with lowering the pickup just a bit on the E side. Keep track of how far you turn the screw so that you can put it back if needed.

Funny, but most of the time it's the E string that sounds deader/quieter than the other strings. The A string is usually the dominant string.

Keep in mind that how you adjust your EQ sound can significantly bring out different strings and notes. For instance, if you were running alot of heavy bass, the low E would most definately sound louder.

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I have a similar problem, the higher fret A and D strings are really lond, but i cant make those lower since i have a Jazz bass :(