Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uneven String volumes with EMG

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rob W, Feb 12, 2001.

1. One of my advanced students has taken an extended cruise ship gig and has left me his '75 maple board Jazz Bass w/EMG's for what may turn out to a very long time (too bad!).

The bass plays really well, and generally sounds great except that the A string seems noticebly quiet compared to the other strings. Acoustically, the bass doesn't sound like this (with the volume off it sounds completely even) so I'm guessing it has to be the electronics.

Is there any way of adjusting the string volumes with EMG pickups?

2. Is there an on-board EQ on the bass? If so, mess with it. This might help. The EQ on the amplifier might be off to. Or maybe you just want some new strings for it.

3. The strings are fine. As I mentioned, acoustically, the bass is perfectly even.

I can't imagine my Eden rig being the problem either since all of my other basses sound fine.

4. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    That's really strange. I've got EMG jazz pickups, and they're very balanced. I don't see how they can get unbalanced, because they are stacked humbuckers!!! In other words, if it was a dual or quadracoil pickup, one coil MIGHT go bad and lower the volume on one string.

How about string height? Is the A string higher? You might try lowering the pickup. This will tend to even the distance from each string to the pickup.

Randy

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i would try and lower the A string and bring it a bit closer to the pick up. that should at least make it a bit louder.