1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Uneven tone on E

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lowendmaestro, Apr 5, 2006.

1. lowendmaestro

lowendmaestro

Apr 5, 2006
    I just picked up one of the new Fender Jaguar bass es with what seems to be a small problem.
    It doesn't matter what type of strings I use on this bass the E string is a bit "thuddier" than the others.
    I've tryed 3 different sets of strings and all give the same result.
    Can't seem to get that initial ring a new set of strings will give you.
    would this be an electronics issue or possibly due to something within the neck or body itself? :meh:

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    sounds like a pickups issue. It could also be an intonation thing as well though. If both your open E and your 12th fret E are in tune...than I would say that its pickup related, if not, you need to get your intonation adjusted.

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    It could also be your amp setup, when I play my 'wick through my cheap practice amp, the lower register on the E string seems lifeless and "thuddier" than the rest, its because the amp cannot quite handle the lower end and gives just the slightest bit of distortion. However, when I'm going through my gig setup with the pre/power and into my 4x10, it just sings, sounds great, no lifeless thuddiness...so thats always something to look at.

4. lowendmaestro

lowendmaestro

Apr 5, 2006
    Running it thru an SVT 4 and Ampeg Cabs. Just installed a BadAss bridge and intonation is dead on. I hope it is just the pickups as I can deal with replacing them as I'm sure the stocks ain't all that. Had this problem with a PBass Deluxe some years ago and finally just got rid of that bass it annoyed me so bad. Thanks