Uneven volume and tone and attack between fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jazzyvee, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    What is the best way to get an even attack and tone from playing rapid consecutive notes.

I only play with my fingers and for most things my right hand technique uses the side of my fingertips of my index and middle fingers similar to Stanley Clarke rather than the tips which I see most bass players doing. This means effectively I have my fingers brushing the strings rather than plucking in towards the bass. I find this gives me a warmer tone and for faster passages there is an even tone between notes. However some tracks I play require a more pronounced attack such as Sweet Tooth by Victor Bailey and What is hip? But to get the right tone for that I have to play with the tips of my fingers having my palm facing the bass which means my fingers are basically 90 degrees to the strings and because my index and middle fingers are different lengths I find that I have problems with getting an even note tone between alternating fingers. Any advice to offer for getting this technique better.
    Cheers

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Practice and listen.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    At one point I switched to plucking with my index and ring finder, and as the result I got much better balanced eveness between the two. Plus, I use the floating thumb approach.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    This is it. Nothing but time.