Uneven Volume

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by outofstep, Mar 12, 2002.

1. outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    I haven't changed strings in a long time, but I've been noticing that my E string is louder then my A & D strings. My G string is like super mega loud, piercing almost.. I've been playing all the G string parts way up on the D string.. to the point... is this a problem with my pickups not being even all the way across (like same distance from the string)... or is it more of an action thing? I think it's a little of both, but the problem really seemed to start when I was adjusting the pickups... I play fender MIM jazz... -matt
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The way that I begin to set pickup height is to depress the string at the highest fret, (closest to the bridge), then set the polepiece to about 1/8" below the bottom of the string. On a J Bass, you can only do this with the E and G strings... Try to keep the action on the A and D string similar to the fingerboard radius... Do this for both the neck and bridge pickup, and you should be at least close to achieving some kind of balance... With a P type pickup, 1/8" is a good starting point for all of the strings, as you can get these pretty close individually.

Hope this helps,