1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unexpected amps - Surprises, cool toys, etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christw, Apr 21, 2009.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I recently acquired a Peavey Windsor guitar head as part of a trade for an old Tele I never played, and I decided, I'll plug this in my 2x10 and see how it sounds! I originally was thinking I'd have to practically rebuild the preamp to make it bass friendly. I want a project anyways...

I plugged in and was blown away. With everything flat I was greeted by a gritty P-tone that I'd been looking for. It would stay clean so long as I stayed nice, and if I dig in, it would start to overdrive so nicely. It gave me a lot of that mean tone that'll cut right through that I keep chasing after these days. I was kind of saddened by the lack of headroom from the amp, but that was through a very inefficient early 90's cab. Plenty loud for a rehearsal though!

Anyone ever just happen to plug into something that seemed so out there and it turned out to just sound sooooooo sweet or happened to be something you've been after for a long time?

(Also on my list of cool stuff-Epiphone Valve Jr. I ran one all-out through a power break and put a jazzie through it. Played what I wrote as a Motorhead tribute song with it. Mean as hell! Just not too loud. The Peavey is both!)

2. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    In answer to the TGP worst amps EVAR thread I decided to fire up my old
    Univox UB-250 SS bass practice amp thinking it was going to sound awful.

I was surprised how cool this laughable amp sounded with a great guitar and
    an efficient 2X12.

3. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    I recorded a metal song a few weeks back with two amps simultaneously.

One was an Ampeg B200R Diamond Series, the other was some variety of Fender Deluxe tube guitar amp put into overdrive.

Very cool tone.

4. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    If you can dial down the hiss, a Bass Rockman is still way cool too.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Lound enough for a practice? Do you think it'd be loud enough for a gig (as a stage monitor) going through a Goliath Sr (6X10")?

Thx,
    -Barry-