1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unexpected and unlikely pedals you really like

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Inconnu, May 16, 2018.

1. I’m just curious about pedals you like, that have a specific sound, but that are cheap and/or generally unpopular.

For me, it’s an old Ibanez Sountank Bass Chorus which I can’t seem to stop liking! I bought it years ago, used and cheap but like new, liked it better then a Boss pedal (there wasn’t much anything else back then). Now I have and had quite a few chorus pedals since then, but I come back to that one cyclically.

Any similar feelings about a specific pedal?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    EHX BlackFinger.

It was my first pedal. I bought it because I thought a compressor was a safe way to dip my toe in the pedal pool.

It turns out this thing does so much more.

I can turn the gain down low enough that it doesn't clip and it's just a tube warmer for my tone.

Take the opposite approach and crank the gain amd you get a nice compressed tube overdrive.

The problem is determining how to use it for each gig.

petrus61 likes this.
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    TC Spectracomp

I disregarded it due to scathing reviews of TC in general on Ovnilab, but I tried one due to an overwhelming number of positive user reviews. It's now my favourite compressor!

gregmon79 likes this.
  4. I have three actually haha
    -Dr Green Bearded Lady. Awesome fuzz. It loses some low end, I must admit it, but I like it. Not on my board currently, but I love it
    -Ashdown Drive Plus. One of the best best overdrives pedals I ever tried. It has a good low end and a really nice sound. But it's huge. It's the biggest pedal I have. Not on my board, but it will come back soon
    -TC Electronic Hypergravity. I bought short before the spectracomp came out. I still prefer it to the spectra due to the more controls it has. I think it's a really good compressor (a little bit noisy in in higher settings, but with a normal use, awesome)

5. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    Akai HeadRush : Quirky delay and looper, with an insane 23 seconds (!) of delay times. It isn't "warm", isn't analog, doesn't do tape delay well, and is quite large. But when I want experimental sounds, it's a great tool.

Rocktron Austin Gold: Most of Rocktron's stuff sounds trash to me, and not in a good way. But a few years ago when I got into synths, it came up in an old search result as being great for warming up synthesizers. 30 bucks on Reverb when I got it, and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound great on them. Not the best choice for bass, but it's decent on guitar as well.

Behringer Super Fuzz: Got this one earlier in the year and I think it slays. Mean but articulate, it's supposed to be a Boss FZ-2 clone. I have no idea if Behringer nailed that sound. But I love it on my 4 string.

Mars Mini-Yes Man: TB's own @FilterFunk tipped me off about this when I was researching filters and wahs. It's a Mini Q Tron clone. EHX is my favorite brand and I'm loathe to buy clones of their stuff, but their Micro just isn't the same as the old Mini. And Mars delivered the greasy goodness here, loads of character. Like all these others I listed, it's affordable with bang-for-buck that is off the chain.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Bo0tsy, gregmon79 and FilterFunk like this.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    For me, I was really surprised I liked the EHX small clone as much as I did. The Behringer Tube OD was really cool too. Then there was the Joyo Ultimate Drive as well as the Cadine Pure Sky. The Pork Loin surprised the hell out of me too when I first got it.

The Mouse likes this.
  7. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I had one of those super-cheap grey Danelectro FAB Overdrive pedals. It had serious tone suck, so I ran it through a DIY loop pedal, rather than in the same chain as everything else (leave it on, and use the loop pedal to engage). The fuzz was really nice and warm when mixed with other pedals. On its own there was a minor bass drop-out, but mixed with ANY other pedal I had it really added something special. With a BassBalls it took your head off.

aledeville likes this.
  8. Ultimate drive and Pure sky... how are they with the lows?

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    They’re good to great. The pure sky has a bass and treble control so you won’t lose any lows. Very tube like drive. The ultimate drive is like an OCD. It’s not the best with lows but I think it’s better than an actual OCD when it comes to retaining low end.

10. EHX Dr Q is still one of my favorite filters even as simple as it is.
    Moody Sounds Hjart Muller Lo|Fat Bass OverDrive is just perfection to my ear, something about that Klang.
    DOD Boneshaker really works for me even if my usual preference is for simpler pedals.

11. Interesting. I have a Crazy Cacti (also by Caline, or Cadine... anyways) and I like it. Wondered about the Pure sky too.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Admit tingly for me, it's the t.c electronics corona chorus. when I first heard this pedal on youtube clip from bass the world, I thought this pedal sounded transparent. but then I saw bassic gear review's demo and realized that it depends on the settings of the pedal. turns out this pedal was versatile after all. it can do 80s chorus sounds(which I'm a fan of) and transparent chorus sounds. it all depends on how you set it. so I took a chance on buying one and I've underestimated this pedal. it quickly became one of the best chorus pedals I've ever used. and it has earned a spot on my pedalboard.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Rev J likes this.
  13. Joyo Ultimate Drive. Basically an OCD that doesn't strip low end. It's a dirty, dirty girl.

neuman likes this.
  14. I have two that I got really cheap but I love.

DigiTech BadMonkey: I kind of really liked it as a tube overdrive right out of the box, but after I messed around a bit, it became an awesome tube overdrive for bass lol. Sounds nasty AF in a good way :D

MXR Micro Amp: This thing is so primitive!!! It has one freakin knob! But it's possibly the best kept secret in my rig haha.

knumbskull and petrus61 like this.
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    MXR Phase 90.

Wulfensteiner likes this.
  16. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    Basswitch Sonic Spark - for that tubey sparkle. Dunno, just sounds good to me.

Regards
    Mark

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Boss CS-3. Gets less than zero love here, but people tend to repeat what they hear from others instead of reporting what they experience themselves. Comps are super personal, so I get it...

Wulfensteiner likes this.
  18. Right on dude. I know and dig the CS3 but as far as the signal goes, I prefer what a limiter does. It's all apples and oranges.

petrus61 likes this.
  19. You said it! Comps are personal. I’ve just settled using a comp and EQ set from my cheap Zoom B1on and I’ve never been happier!

petrus61 and Wulfensteiner like this.
  20. I have a Zoom B2.1u and I agree, these Zoom things are kickass. I don't know why some people turn their noses up at multi's.