Unexpected baby

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    So I walk into the jersey guitar & bass center so my pal can check out some Heritage Les Pauls and start fiddling with the several Bongos they have on the wall. No, I didn't get a Bongo. Yet. Next to me, purched up against an amp is a red sparkly 5-string Curbow. I start to play it. I like it. Feels a lot nicer than the other Cort I bought 2 weeks ago. Doesn't scare me like the other Cort I bought 2 weeks ago. Feels and sounds a lot more MM like. I ask how much. $300. I ask if he'll take $250. We settled on $275. I have a new baby.

I was playing it for hours last nite while I was watching my cat projectile vomit all over my pillows and sheets. It was great!

This is the noisiest freaking bass I've ever played though. What's up with that? It has a Bartolini and active 3 band electronics. I thought active=quiet??? I guess me thought wrong. Any suggestions on fixing it? The bass is well sheilded and it's not a ground thing.

Also - Anyone want to buy a Cort 5-string with a jazz and MM PU? The MM pickup sounds great, jazz is fer crap, it has wide string spacing, good action, and it's brand new - 2 weeks old, not even a belt nick yet. I paid $220 (which was a great deal). I'd be willing to let it go for $150.

Any other thoughts on Cort, Curboows or life welcome.
  2. with all the cheap basses you've bought in the last six months you could own a bongo by now.

3. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The stock Cort pre is...well...in a word, it's bad. Do yourself a favour and go get a Bart preamp. It will quiet things down a lot, and yield a much better sound. Take it to a qualified guitar tech or electronics shop to do this. You'll be much happier. Have the tech star-shield your axe as well.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Yes - on the bongo thing. I definitely could have had a bongo by now. In fact, the money for this came out of my Bongo envelope (I AM responsibly trying to save for the Bongo).

It would serve me to learn to hone my choices a bit. I bought a cheap fretless that I wound up giving away cuz I decided I'd rather defret a bass I really liked. I bought the cheap 5 string cuz I really needed a 5 string but wish I had shopped around a little. With the 2 new 5s I have now I could have gotten myself a really nice bass fer around $600. I'm beating myself well enough here by myself. :crying: i really dug a 5 string rockbass i played a couple of weeks ago also. oh well.

On the bart preamp thing - I was under the assumption that that's what was in there. How can I find out for sure what IS in there, and about how much would it cost me to replace it. Where, also, can I find the preamp at a good price online. I really like the feel of this bass.
  5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My fiver had electronics problems last year and I had to borrow a Cort Curbow for a gig. It was terrible and smelled like plastic.[​IMG]