1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unexpected counting lesson (Jazz Bass/Audere question)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Just cracked open my 2011 Highway One Jazz to install the new Audere JX3 Pro 4-band pre that Santa brought! You rock, Santa!

Simple question is, my pickups have three wires - two black and one white. I expected a hot (white) and ground (black). Why 2 black wires from the pickups? My first hunch is that they could be split coil Jazz pups, but to my knowledge they're the regular vintage Alnico pups it came installed with.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Two grounds ona single coil means the magnets have a ground lead. Check the white and blacks for continuity and the two continuous will be the coil leads.
    But it doesn’t really matter just ground both blacks.

Guiseppe likes this.
  3. Typically, you have a hot and cold for the coil, and then a shield ground. The shield ground is separate from the coil to allow the possibility of series/parallel swtching, phase reversal, etc.

Guiseppe likes this.
  4. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Gotcha. Kind of surprised me to see this configuration. Most Jazz pickups don't have 3 wires, do they?

5. They do. It's common and desirable.

Guiseppe likes this.
  6. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Speaking of common, you actually just segwayed into my real question: On the instructions for this install, I'm sending hot and common to the preamp, and the other wire to ground. How do I differentiate between common and ground between the two black wires? (It figures it says in big bold letters in the instructions not to ground the common!)

All I'm needing to learn on this is how to identify the grounds from each pickup!

7. Use an Ohm meter to identify the leads. Normally they are just tied together, but your preamp isolates the cold lead from ground.

8. one of the black wires will have a resistance value to the white wire, if you put your multimeter between the black & white & measure Ohms
    If one of the black wires measures infinite Ohms (or Open) to the white wire, that's the shield wire.
    If they both measure the same, then use either.