1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unexpected NBD - was looking for a chair, got a Peavey instead (who needs to sit anyway right?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I was at our local consignment resale store, looking for all things, a chair and happened to spy a Peavey bass case leaning up next to the video game section. What could be inside? I was thinking maybe a Milestone but the case looked a little worn so maybe it was something older. Price tag said $149.99.

Opening up the case, the first thing I saw was it was indeed a P bass clone but not the model I thought it was, saw the headstock and realized it was an old US made Fury(checking the serial number later - it's from 1989). I've owned a more recent overseas made Fury a few years before and thought it was a pretty decent bass but it wasn't a P bass style version like this, but still pretty good nonetheless. This particular Fury is blue and has a rosewood fretboard - most I've seen were black or sunburst, white pickguard and maple fretboards, never seen one like this before - for some reason, I thought all the US- P bass Fury basses had maple fretboards. The bass seemed pretty solidly built but looked like it could use some restoration, wasn't sure if the electronics was fully functional, the neck pickup detached from it's cover and looks like it sunk into the body, missing two strings (my worry here was how long were the two strings missing as it looked like the neck was a tad bit twisted from the uneven tension). Ultimately, the latter made me walk away from it.
    But after looking at some chairs, tools, electronics, I returned to the bass - maybe the twist isn't bad, maybe the neck can be coaxed back into shape so I ended up buying it for $100 thinking worse case scenario, I would have a Peavey hard case and maybe a bass I could use or sell for parts.
    That was last night....after a night of cleaning, rewiring, soldering (the output jack was shot and had a ball removing it from the pickguard as the bolt that held it in place was rusted and couldn't be removed easily), replacing some screws, one pickguard screw was so rusted corroded it snapped off - there really is something relaxing about caring for, restoring and rehabilitating a once abandoned instrument, sort of zen-like instead of a bonsai well, it's a bass.
    Now came the true test, I had removed the two strings earlier when I first came home - after several hours of working on the bass I noticed the twist on the neck evened out gradually without the two strings on it, so I crossed my fingers, maybe ...just maybe - so I put a set of strings on it, brought it to tune, action was very nice, and best of all, the twist was gone, of course I will monitor it as things can change over the next few days once the neck settles in with the tension.
    Bass sounded terrific - I may have to replace the tone pot as it doesn't seem to be doing all that much in varying the tone, at least it's set to the kind of tone I like.

Sweet bass, certainly better than any chair - these older Peavey basses do seem more solid and better put together than more recent models I've owned previously - and much lighter than I expected from an older model, so I don't need no stinkin' chair after all. It uses that Gibson style truss rod wrench, which I have currently misplaced but the neck is pretty straight as it is - speaks for the stability and durability of the neck.

when it first came home:-
    48382301_2236458419926130_8785958939498905600_n. 48421760_2239498836378329_4194075658063708160_n.

After the first evening - yes, I still have to adjust for intonation and fine tuning it, but the goal was to get it playable.
    48385603_501744290315416_3488630543870853120_n.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    alack, Wisebass, Kawai-chang and 7 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Standing is better for you anyway (says the fat guy who's dying from too much sitting). Enjoy the NBD! :bassist:

Torrente Cro and Maxdusty like this.
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You are absolutely correct in that cleaning/restoring/setting up an unloved bass provides so much gratification. I have rescued quite a few basses from pawn shops and resold them after putting them right.

I love old Peavey basses and you got a really nice one. I love the rosewood fingerboard and the color of the body.

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    If you aren't going to be sitting, you'll need a strap.

Congrats.

Wisebass likes this.
  5. Great find! and a great bass. Loved my Peavey from that era. One of the best necks I've ever put a hand to.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i used to have a fretless fury and it was terrific --- nice feel to it. looks like you're on your way to a great playing ax! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup: