1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unexpected Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ed Murray, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Ed Murray

Ed Murray

Mar 11, 2015
    NH
    None yet -- let's talk ;)
    Was listening to the 2010 Robert Plant "Band of Joy" album recently (been getting into a lot of solo Plant stuff of late...), and while the entire album is good, the song "You Can't Buy My Love" jumped out at me due to what I heard, or at least perceived, as some kick-ass Rickenbacker bass tone:

(the video doesn't offer any visual clues; in fact it shows the bassist playing an upright, which I highly doubt)

It also may just be an effect (overdrive, fuzz, etc.).

Thoughts?

Any other examples of what I would call "Unexpected Rickenbacker" -- ie, a Rick shining through on a recording of a band/bassist that typically does not use a Rick?

2. Ed Murray

Ed Murray

Mar 11, 2015
    NH
    None yet -- let's talk ;)
    Someone in the Rickenbacker Bass group on Facebook did some Googlin' and came up with the answer to tone Byron House gets on "You Can't Buy Me Love": Definitely not a Rickenbacker. Bass Player mag asked him specifically about how he got the killer tone for that song in particular:

--http://Byron House With Robert Plant’s Band Of Joy | Bassplayer

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    At about 32 seconds into the video there is a clear shot of a Fender bass neck and headstock ... looks like a Fender short scale bass.

Also the Danelectro guitar is doubling the line on the E string.

I will have to listen to this on my home computer to get better sound.

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Not a band/bassist that typically does not use a Rick, but rather a band/bassist who typically does use a Rick...and yet every time I hear him I think "wow, it's so weird that he chooses to play this music on a Rick!" -- Chris Brubeck