1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unexpected wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by -Asdfgh-, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I had a Squier P/J apart yesterday to allow me to effectively tighten the nut on the bridge volume snd output socket. The first surprise was the cloth covered wiring to the pickups - not likely to be the originals, although I couldn't see any markings or even determine the design. The bigger surprise was the stereo wiring. I hadn't previously considered trying a stereo jack in it as I didn't imagine it would stereo.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    What model?
    My Vintage Modifed Jazz has cloth covered pickup leads. A stereo jack is used with an active preamp...

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

It may have a stereo jack but it can’t be wired stereo or one signal will be grounded and killed as soon as you insert the mono plug.

If it’s active, the short prong is used as the battery power “on” circuit.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It's definitely not active. I'll maybe have to go in and double check where the pickup wires go to on the jack, exactly. Or the simpler expedient us stick a stereo to dual mono cable in. I have such a cable, somewhere...

5. 96tbird

Should only have a hot wire to the big prong and ground to the ring. If it’s a jass metal plate, probably no ground wire as the plate itself serves as the ground.

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Not necessarily. There are passive stereo basses. Rickenebacker and Ovation Magnum are the first two that come to mind.

40Hz likes this.
  7. 96tbird

Rics have TWO outputs to run stereo. Not done through one jack. This SQUIER may have been altered. Big Maybe though. Not very many players out there run stereo.

My bet is that someone swapped in a switchcraft jack and all that was immediately available was a TRS. nothing wrong with that if they left the short prong out of the circuit.

40Hz likes this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I had a Ric in the early 70s, but I don't remember it having two jacks. As I recall, I had to have a cord made that split the signals so I could run two amps. The Ovation Magnum II has two jacks, one for mono and one for stereo.
    What makes you think stereo is only from active basses?

40Hz likes this.
  9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Yes, but not a Squier...

96tbird likes this.
  10. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Okay, but your original statement appeared to say all stereo basses are active. That is not true. If a Squier has it, someone has modified it.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I've sometimes wired in a stereo jack when I was out of mono jacks as a "temporary" measure. But most times I never bothered to go back and replace it with a mono afterwards. You can get a Switchcraft 12B stereo jack for less than two bucks if you shop, so why bother swapping?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    96tbird likes this.
  12. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I took it apart somewhat more.

It's a stereo jack, but wired for mono, that is one leg unused. Two wires from the bass go to the hot side, one to the ground, which is obviously the ground. The wiring is otherwise a non-standard arrangement, but I didn't sketch it out. There seemed to be a heck of a lot of wiring in it, though, for just two pickups, but no more pots or capacitors than normal. The wiring to the jack was via a 3 core cable, which doesn't help.

I still can't ID the pickups. They aren't ceramic with a large magnet on the back, they might be ceramic with two small magnets either side of the slugs, but if so, they are hidden under plastic. The slugs look more steel than alnico, but mostly they look like they are metal :). I am loathe to rip the pickups apart. With cloth covered wires I doubt they are the original pickups, and the P pickup is a very tight fit through the scratchplate, meaning it took me very nearly haf an hour to get the scratchplate back on.

This a 2005 MII Squier PJ. I have another one, same year, different colour (I work in IT now anc I like near identical backups), so I will pull that one apart next weekend. They both play nicely, especially now I've levelled and crowned, although an extra crowning top up and polish would be good.

96tbird likes this.
  13. 96tbird

I never said that at all. o_O Try a re-read.

Heres a Ric. To which I refer. RIC O SOUND F06D17B5-6AAF-42C7-BABD-C6A929D4C4FA.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I read it several times. How did I misunderstand this: "A stereo jack is used with an active preamp"

15. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Incorrect. Rickenbackers have two output jacks (you're right here), but one is a mono output and the other is stereo. The 'Ric-o-sound' output is the stereo output, and requires a TRS-jacked stereo cable to work. Rickenbacker used to sell a little breakout box that split the signal from the stereo cable to two mono 1/4'' output jacks. Confusingly Rickenbacker use a couple of stereo switching jacks, to govern what signal is sent to which jack when a cable is inserted into the other. From memory a stereo jack in the stereo socket breaks the connection that routes both pickup signals to the mono jack, whereas a mono jack inserted into the mono output converts the stereo output into a second mono output. Apparently!

The Yamaha Attitude is a bass that requires two mono cables to open up its stereo capabilities.

@-Asdfgh- it sounds like your bass was rewired by somebody who didn't really know what they were doing and who introduced a lot of redundancy to the circuit. Some players and modders believe that a stereo jack holds a standard 1/4'' cable more securely as there is a bit more friction due to the 'ring' terminal contacting the sleeve of the cable.

FunkHead likes this.
  16. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks for the clarification. It is difficult to remember how many jacks it had after 46 years. I do remember I used one stereo jack that I made by wiring two mono cords to it.

17. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    It could have had a single jack and was modified internally with a stereo jack? This is exactly what Chris Squire did with his RM1999 (4001S) bass, which came from the factory with a single, mono output jack.

18. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If it had two, it came from the factory that way.

Axstar likes this.
  19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    The irony being this is one of the looser bass jacks I have. If I have a mono one in the parts box and get bored enough I'll rewire it. I have a spare push pull so I could series-parallel the P pickup.

Axstar likes this.
  20. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Sounds right! I've seen photos of Eric Clapton using a Y-splitter cable to run a signal to two Marshall stacks. I think stereo Y-splitter cables were also available then. It sounds like you built one of these?