Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unfair if you ask me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I was chattin with my bass teacher and he was talking about a new student he had just taken on. On the first lesson he welcomed her in as he would expecting her to produce an aria or the like. He was suprised to see that she was actually clutching what seemed like an old fender hard case, this wasn't the half of it though. She opened it up to reveal '67 Precision bass. The majour downer was the fact it had been converted for her, she plays left handed so the nut had been changed, and it had been resprayed from the origial white to a pale blue, and not sprayed well, at all. It was a hand-me-down bass. I'm still rather jelous. Apperently she had that real deep and amazing warmth though he only played for a short while.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    poor bass,poor Fender :(

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    So it became a Highway One? :bag:

4. tbader

tbader

Jun 29, 2005
    Well, I'm assuming she is new at the instrument: He should teach her how to play righty, as it will save her a lot of problems in the future if she starts to get GAS for righty-only instruments. :D

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    That's right: anybody who gets a vintage P has to play with the non-dominant hands.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Even though the righty population far exceeds the lefty population, it is unfair to force a lefty to play righty. We don't ask rightys to write and play lefty, do we? And heck, the advantage of playing lefty is that fewer people will touch your instrument or ask to try it out. Paul Grey of Slipknot said that when he was taking lessons with a righty teacher, he thought it was great because it was almost like looking into a mirror to get fingerings and stuff down.

Admittedly, yes, equipment can be an issue for leftys since oftentimes companies only offer token-gesture lefty basses. Warwick is one of the few I can think of who offer ALL their models in lefty at NO extra cost. Heh, that's why Paul Grey's an endorsee.

Anyway, why the jealousy over a nice hand me down bass? I mean, when we get older and our kids may want to play bass, we may have awesome hand-me-downs to give them.

7. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I wonder who the genius "luthier" was who did that...
    ::shakes head::

8. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    A student band was playing a friends Jr high school fundraiser. I wandered up close to check out the bass player. My jaw dropped when I saw this 6th grader banging away on a Sadowsky.

Bill

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Maybe this guy?

http://www.deweydecibel.com/F-out_pages/Bmodels.htm

(Sorry, I just had to. This was too good a laugh to pass up.)

In all seriousness, though, didn't Jimi Hendrix take righty Strats, put the strap button on the lower horn, restring them lefty, and play what appeared to be "upside down?"

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Haha, yep, and those are vintage strats now. Don't forget the ones he set on fire too :D

11. As a lefty, I would love to be able to pick up any instrument in the shop and bang away on it.

I have to order instruments out of a catalog, at extra charge, unsighted.

But tis true that no one can just pick up my bass and play it, and by all accounts, lefty's have excellent resale value.

6 of 1....