Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UNFAIR!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gut_Implosion, Oct 24, 2004.

1. :crying: My cousin is getting a vintage late 60's-early 70's natural-finish Jazz from her dad as her FIRST bass! If she weren't family, I would make that bass mine in a heartbeat :ninja: .

O well, at least she'll let me play it whenever I want :hyper: .
    Downside is, that'll be whenever I want to play it if I'm in WASHINGTON! :crying:

Anyone else know someone who's gotten a totally awesome bass or something and didn't realize the value of what they had?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :( thats not fair..sigh..

I get so jealous when people here get the bass i want for a good price :( like that noobie who got the spector euro 4 string for a little over 6 bills. I mean cmonnn, i want that bass :(

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This dude I know, his dad bought him a MIA Spector as a first bass. He later traded it for a Ibanez Fieldy sig. He plays in a Nu Metal band, and he wanted that KoRn sound.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Grr :ninja:

I saw a dad come into a store once and bought his 10 year old son a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. It was either the Lakland or a MIA P-bass. :scowl:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ahhhhhhhhh

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Is he still alive?

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When someone else gets something nice, I don't get jealous, I feel happy for them. Breeds better karma . . .

8. I'm not really that jealous, I'm getting my GT-7 in 6 days :D

I used to believe in karma, till I realized that no matter what you do, the universe will always break your balls :meh: . But I still think Buddah was right, attatchment to material things and jealousy only lead to suffering, I think he wants us all to smoke more herb and relax :) .

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    When I bought my amp this summer, a few people in the store were jealous of me. Made me feel great :D

10. one of my mates father bought him an ibanez steve vai jam for his 18th birthday...one of the new all white ones with the white vine and gold hardware.......mind you about 3 weeks before he bought an ibanez rg, black with chrome pickguard.....im not that jelous...cos i get to jam with him all the time :D ...oohhh..and my parents are buying my little sister her 1st guitar, a squier strat, but when i wanted to start playing bass i had to buy it myself, and everything bass related ive had to fork out myself :meh:

11. Talk to your cousin more, and see what bass they really like. Tell her that you have that bass, even if you don't. Offer a trade, run to the store and buy that bass. Then it's all yours ! hahahahahahhahhahahhahhahahhaha, breath, hahahahhahahhahahhah. :D

12. Well, fenderjazz68, I would be more than happy to do that usually, and since she doesn't even know how to play yet, I doubt she would even care for the most part, except I think there's some sentimental value in it for her, cause its her dad's and he's giving it to her and stuff. He had offered to sand it down to just the wood and then stain it (sorta like a warwick-ish look), but she said she didn't want him too because she wanted to have it the way it was when he used to play it. If it wasn't for that, hell, she'd probably be willing to just give it to me for free, and maybe sometime down the road, if she decides she's not gonna keep playing bass, perhaps she'll be giving it to you-know-who (if she gives it away at all, it'll definitely be to me).

13. Dan Lakin from Lakland recieved 10 Million bucks from his pop to bail out his company from going under. But with the launch of Skylines and the bailout, i think he's just about broken even.

I think. :confused:

14. Would it be wrong to accept the jazz if she decided to give it to me? :confused: I mean, on the one hand, it is something that was given to my cousin by her father, but on the other hand, it also is a vintage jazz bass :meh: .

15. lorino

lorino

Oct 23, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I believe it was a $500,000 loan. Lakland annual revenues are in the $1-2 million range still - I think.

You just witnessed my first post...

JIM

16. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    When I was still working at Mars music, the most outrageous sale I had was a brand spankin new modulus quantum 5 that went to a kid who sat apathetically while his parents forked over the plastic. It was his first bass after playing for six months on a friends mexican jazz bass. I could barely contain myself from choking the kid. He really seemed unaffected. If my parents would have done that for me, you better believe I'd be doing victory cartwheels across the store. He later came back in and bought his first rig: SVT classic through a classic 410. Sucks to be him. I wonder whatever became of his punkpop band......

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    If life was fair there would'nt be any ugly women or sick children. I know that is'nt very politically correct but it is true. It would bug me as well but you are better off not paying too much attention to what other people have. I bet there is a US Fender jazz somewhere in your future. :)

18. Hi Jim,

Welcome to TB.

I stand corrected. i remember they stated the amount in Forbes magazine.

But is it $1-2 million after profits or just in general?

anywhoo.. i wish my pop could lend me $500k. then again.. i wish i was as talented as Mr.Lakin :smug:

19. The only thing that's unfair is the way you guys all have cool basses, and I live in Australia where there's a smaller selection of basses, and they're all overpriced.

20. not all of us are yankee's....but i do agree with ya..hell we've only just gotten spectors...seems to be about 50,000 independant luthers in america making their own basses :meh: ...ive found about 4 here in australia...best way to find the good stuff is a pawnbroker rumage...ive seen a fair few good basses in pawnbrokers, theres an alembic dealer in sydney who used to be on here heaps, not so much any more, but he's a real nice guy, i met a few weeks ago...but there is some good stuf over here..its just a matter of looking..like me and my precious kubicki :D