Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unfairly maligned bands thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkee1, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    This is a cross post from HCBF:

I know there are some of you who think certain bamds "Suck". This thread is for those bands you feel "Don't suck" even though a lot of people might think they do. It is your chance to champion a downtrodden band.

My list starts with:

Smashmouth- I never get tired of hearing "All- star".

Korn and Linkin Park- I like both of these bands, and Korn have one of the densest sounds ever. Just on engineering alone, you have to give them props.

Anyone else?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Marilyn Manson. I really can't help but enjoy them. I even dig the Mechanical Animals album in all it's fake glam wannabeness.

4. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey, I'll second that. Most people hate Marilyn Manson, but have you ever seen them live? GREAT show, plus Holywood was really something of an artistic masterpiece and it just slipped under the radar, likely because of their image.

Also, death/thrash metal. People are too easy to dismiss it based on a lack of understanding but if you can get past the initial shock (and horror) then you can realize what great musicianship it takes and how much it kicks arse!

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Never did see them live, missed out on a couple club shows around here that I had other obligations when I heard about the show.

I really, really love extreme metal like that. Most of the horror and imagery, I'm finding out, are just window dressing for extremely talented playing (I'm in awe of people that can play at 340 beats per minute (Liturgy was clocked at that) and do it with such precision. The death metal singers that I've come to know have admitted that sometimes they just make the lyrics up as they go if they can't remember exactly what they're supposed to be grunting and growling. Death metal, I think, is an especially good example of the vocals being treated like just another instrument.