1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"unfinished" neck on EBMM StingRays -

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdood, Aug 14, 2017.

1. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I am considering getting a used Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay 5HH, with a maple fretboard, which I think is a 2016. It has that raw unfinished neck, which I believe the folks at EBMM refer to as being "finished with tru-oil and gunstock wax for a smooth natural feel." This one feels dry and somewhat raw. Not rough, but just not slick at all. Could be due to the prior owner not treating it. And we live in a very dry climate.

Anybody have any experience with this? Will the neck feel a lot better after treatment? Is it something that you just get used to? Does it slow you down? Do you like it?

Thanks!

2. Ernie Ball sells wipes for there bass necks, im sure that would solve the problem. Likely just very dried out.

gelinas666 and bassdood like this.
  3. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks!
    Have you used these particular necks? Do you like them?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

My MM went straight to the luthier for a clear coat as soon as I got it. I absolutely hate this finish. It doesn't feel right to me and turns to green within years.

5. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Here's a how-to from Ernie Ball on how to care for your oiled neck.

6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Had a Sterling for almond st 20 years with an 'unfinished' neck.

I like the slick feel. If yours doesn't have it then oil it with the appropriate solution.

No color change either. I love the neck profile and the pups!

Ikkir and five7 like this.
  7. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Good to know. Thanks!

8. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Excellent! Thank you!

Tbone76 likes this.
  9. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Was that a very expensive thing to do? Thanks

10. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I've been doing my own DIY oil/wax treatment for years, on EBMM, Laklands, and other basses that use the oil/wax finish. Uses stuff you can find at any Home Depot (fine sandpaper, Howards Feed & Wax, Howard's Orange Oil, steel wool). not very expensive at all, and can be refreshed at any time.

11. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I had good luck with Howard's Feed N Wax on my EBMM's, along with a Warwick Corvette that had been neglected. Good stuff!

12. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Just got my StingRay. Love the unfinished neck. A little oil soap cleaned up the grime from the showroom floor. I wouldn't consider mine particularly dry. YMMV.

Element Zero, kap'n kro and bassdood like this.
  13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Try some clear Kiwi shoe polish on it. Cleans and shines, and buffs up super slick. I use it on my Dingwall. You can spiff up your shoes with it too.

It's a win win!

Dricoman and StyleOverShow like this.
  14. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I currently have, and have had several Stingrays and Sterlings and apply the Tru-oil/gun stock wax treatment maybe once every year or so depending on the feel. Wonderful slick smooth feel on every single one. I have a used Stingray from 1998 and the neck is amazingly smooth with no colour change (certainly not green!). I have used the EBMM Wonder Wipes and they're ok, but IME the Tru-oil/gunstock wax treatment is more long lasting. My EBMM's are by far more comfortable to play neck-wise than my lacquered/poly neck Fender's (but I love my Fender's too!). All in all, I have no complaints or bad experiences at all with the oil/wax finish.

15. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Very good to know. That is quite helpful. Thanks!

16. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you

17. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I have a fender American standard P bass whose neck always felt sticky and not satin smooth like they're supposed to.
    After five years of suffering, insanded it down to bare wood with 320/800 and then used Johnsons floor paste wax and voila!
    Feels the way it should

18. I had an EBMM Stingray 5HH and got rid of it a month ago. I couldn't stand the feel of the unfinished neck.

Got me an American Standard 5 P bass and all is good.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  19. I thought I would be the only person here with this opinion but I agree with Darkhorse1962. I love gloss neck finishes, can't stand the Stingray neck finishes. It's the opposite for me - the raw necks, even with oil application, feel sticky to me but the gloss or stain finished necks feel perfect.
    Love the tone and general feel of a Stingray, just don't like the standard neck. Never had the balls to have one stripped back and finished but I may do this one day.
    Flame suit on....

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  20. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I use the gun stock wax. It definitely helped my 98 'Ray.