Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unfinished neck

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I recently had some of the thickness shaved off the back of my neck. My basses neck that is.

I like the feel of the bare wood with no sealer or finish. Is there any problems that may occur other than just getting dirty, from not having any kind of finish on?

I looked through the various threads pertaining to this subject but I did not find an answer to my question.
    I must have missed it if there was one.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If you like the feel of the unfinished neck, you'll LOVE the feel of an oiled neck. I suggest you seal up with a few coats to avoid staining the wood. If not, the oils and dead skin that slough off your hand will eventually seal the wood, but the grain will raise and it will look and feel yuckky. Some guys like Watco, some like Tung, some like Linseed. I personally seal with a combination of Garnet shellac and Linseed. It really doesn't make much difference. If you decide to leave it bare, wet the wood, let it dry, then lightly sand the raised grain with 400 grit sandpaper. Finish up with a white nylon scrubby and it will feel better than a baby's tush.