Unforeseen Consequences of being a bass player..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by junglejimuk, Mar 12, 2021.

1. junglejimuk

junglejimuk

Feb 28, 2019
    I thought I might try contact lenses instead of wearing glasses, went along to the opticians, was shown how to put them in and instructed on getting them out. Popped them in... Nice. OK now remove them. Could I... Nope - I simply could not feel the lenses. The opticians were in tears at the sight of me gouging my eyes out, trying to feel the edge of the lense, squidge slightly and remove. It would have been easier for me to remove the whole eye... But on the upside - i can pick up really hot things :)

J_Bass, Goatrope, arbiterusa and 7 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

sorry you're having trouble! i wore contact lenses most of my life (glasses, too, at times) from age 9 until about 62. the technique for removing soft lenses is different from hard lenses, of course, but it's easy once you get the hang of it --- with or without calluses on the fingertips. it's doable, but as the bass = it takes practice!

you can do this! lots of players do --- good luck! :thumbsup:

J_Bass, Mr_Moo and junglejimuk like this.
  3. I can't even keep my eyes open long enough to put in eye drops, takes 30 drops to get 2 in my eye.

Will never attempt contact lenses here.

bpc, junglejimuk, Mr_Moo and 2 others like this.
  4. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I could never get the hang of contacts. Stuck being a four eyed bass player for the rest of my life, I guess.

Mr_Moo, junglejimuk and Winslow like this.
  5. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I have the opposite problem; I don’t form calluses. At all. So I play pretty gently, with very low action, and as a matter of interest to you, never had a problem putting in or getting out my contacts.

Got lasik in 1999 and solved that non problem for good. Wasn’t that expensive- I have instruments that cost more - and it was the best thing I’ve ever spent my money on. Period.

Mr_Moo and junglejimuk like this.
  6. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    Wearing contacts since I was 15 or so. Still have those fubar days when for no apparent reason, one of them just won't go in. And sometimes, those days where a lens goes on the loose under the eyelid and takes a lot of patient squeezing and massaging to get it out.

Mr_Moo and junglejimuk like this.
  7. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021