1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

unfortunate moments as a bassist.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by derrick007, Sep 28, 2008.

1. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Hurray! Bad-times thread! What is your saddest moment as a bassist? I have two, one is more sad but turned out fine, the other isn't so bad, but is now forever with me.

One day I had my brand new super redhead in the back of my Explorer, and like an idiot, I didn't tie it down. Well you can probably see whats coming next, I took a turn to sharp after I forgot it was back there, and it fell right over, hard too. I was scared I had broken something, but played it off, optimisticly thinking it was a tough amp and was fine, I mean I had straight up dropped my fender BXR100 a few times and it still works great. I got to practice, and set it up, nervous as hell. I turned it on, and as soon as a tapped my E string, an atrocious screech shot out. I quickly turned it off, and was seriously on the verge of crying. I'm only 17, I work at Taco Bell and I saved up every penny of every paycheck I got for several months untill I had $950 and could afford it, and now, no more than 5 days later, I was sure it was dead. Then I remembered it was a tube preamp. Luckily my dads guitarist had generously given me about 5 different 12AX7s to try out in my new amp. So I opened it up and took out the tube. It looked fine, but sure enough, I replaced it and it worked better than before. the embarrassment of freaking out in front of my two guitarist turned out to be the worst part.

The other story doesn't have a happy ending, it just sucks, but guess it could be worse. I had just got my vintage, mint condition, Hamer Standard bass for a steal at Music Go Round, only $200, blew over half a paycheck on it, but well worth it still (GREAT playing, looking, and sounding bass, grab one if you ever get the chance). On the ride back, I threw it in the back of my Explorer (it's always that damn Explorer) and made my way home. On 121, some ******* cut me off to get on the right exit, I slammed my brakes to keep from running into the sob, and my shinny new Hamer fell and hit some random piece of metal sticking out of the back of my passenger seat, and now it has a big gash on the side of it. I was once again nearly crying, but more just wanted to find that guy who cut me off and beat him with a pole or somethin.

Somebody one-up me. I'm sure somebody here has had a Rickenbacker get kicked in half by a vengeful x, or a Warwick spontaneously combust, or a vintage SVT fall of a ledge or something.

2. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    I traded my natural maple Stingray 4 for a Peavey Cirrus. Stupidest thing I've done...so far.

3. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gaaa!!! Use a case, use a case, use a case! (I'm sure that's gone through your head a million times by this point).

4. i fell in love with bass playing hence all the bass gear too, now that IS an unfortunate thing if you are living in India and especially more so once you are on TB :D

5. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    And the lesson learned is...don't just chuck your gear into a car! Place it carefully and in a way that means it can't move around.

6. ...or put anti-******* missiles on your car and prevent the whole incident :rollno:

7. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Alright....found a pawnshop p bass (mann brand) with maple neck and natural body for $140!!! It was possibly the best bass deal ever, since it played SO well and sounded HUGE. I was completely in love with it. One day I even upgrade the pickups to SD Antiquities and it was then I decided that it would be my "lifetime" bass. No one else had a bass that looked / sounded like it. I got compliments on my unique looks and tone everywhere.

Then, three months ago, I left it in my car.

I only left it there (in my parking garage) for four hours and then I had to go to another gig.

I remember hearing the alarm from the second floor. I ran down the stairs, and when I got to the car I'll never forget the sickening feeling I got when I saw a jagged hole where the back window once was. Sure enough, the back seat was empty.

One day, I'll find that bass...

Until then, I have a Jag! :)

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The most recent was having my band van broken into and having someone steal my bass cabinets, my SVT, and one of my basses, plus all my guitarists stuff.

All in front of my house. :(

9. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    oh my god, i would've lit the block on fire in hopes it would kill the animal that did that.

10. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I did a double read on this......;)

11. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I haven't had many bad moments on bass. Almost all are happy moments :p

The only time I ever broke a string during a gig, it was during the bass solo on "Brown Eyed Girl" (Van Morrison.) Popped the A string, so I had to finish the solo on the E string. Think fast! :bassist:

Not so bad, in the scheme of things.

One other, I guess. I was doing a studio session, and the guitar player stole my ending lick (on the 2nd take.) The engineer said it sounded better on the guitar. So he got to keep it. Again, not so bad in the scheme of things.

12. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Way back 6 or 7 years ago I got my index finger crushed in a door and wasn't able to play finger style until it was healed. I'm pretty sure I broke it at the joint closest to the fingernail and now it's a bit "askew" compared to the rest of my fingers being it was never placed in a finger shim. (or whatever you call those metal things that they use on broken fingers)

I was bummed at first, but then realized it was a great time to brush up on my pick playing. :D

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    OK, so I once found a steal at a pawnshop. A used fender MIM jazz bass, at only $100!

I was jazzed, of course, until about a year later I was at a rehearsal studio with my band. We were packing up, and since I was riding home with my guitarist I set my bass, in its case, up against the car door.

Well it turns out that I ended up riding home with my drummer instead. My guitarist didnt see my bass leaning on his car and took off. I get home, no bass, and speed back to the studio... GONE. The worst, most sickening feeling EVER!

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Not in terms of losing gear for me, but some of my saddest moments as a bassist were more in artistic terms:

1) Having to back up a totally LAME Elvis impersonator who was so bombed he couldn;t figure out where he was at in the song. I should've walked off stage right there and then. DUMBA$$!

2) Being in a band that slowly started going cheez-wiz in its song choices (I bailed just in time as it was going to start doing boy-band covers, HOLY CRAP!) Call that the slowly boiling frog principle, thankfuly I jumped out just in time.

3) What hurt the most, my absolute FAVORITE ever original band to play with quietly broke up. We're still great friends but man that HOITS!!!

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, here's another: Losing a band because my drummers girlfriend got in debt and convinced him to sell his drumkit so they can move in together... Yoko!

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You're supposed to learn from experience. :rolleyes:
    Put some bungee cords in your car. If your guitar/bass isn't in a case, put it on the floor of the passenger seat. At least take a blanket with you. Better yet, don't buy a bass without a case or gig bag.

Don't assume others will take care of your equipment. I learned the hard way on this as well.

Unless you can cover your bass with something, it's open season on it, even with a car alarm (which everyone ignores these days. Just curious, since you live only two stories above the garage and could hear your own car alarm, why didn't you take 10 minutes and carry the bass to your apartment?)

17. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Being told the mix sounds GREAT by the soundguy when your bass is either unplugged or you aren't in the FOH mix and your stage rig is muted.

Lonnybass

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh man, if only that was the case! I had no one to blam but myself. I totally set it there with the intention of grabbing it before I got in his car (I didnt want it riding in the back getting crushed by cabs). The mistake I made was deciding to ride with my drummer instead, and not immediately taking my bass to his car instead...

live and learn, still won't bring my jazz bass back

19. About 10 years ago I had a friend of mine who's a big time Christian hip hop artist sitting in my living room telling me, "Man you're a great musician. You would totally get a good gig if you wanted to and I could hook you up with all kinds of contacts." I actually told him "No" and that I wasn't ready for all that. Man do I regret that now as I'm working in a factory on my feet all day dreaming of what may have been.:crying:

20. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    my saddest moment was last night...
    i dropped my GF off at her apt, left my bass gear in my car. 8 minutes later, i walk out, my back passenger window is busted open, my bass and most of my effects are gone. lucky they didnt take my amp i suppose.

i'm still crying on the inside. it's gonna take a lot of medicine to work these feelings out. and money to buy a new bass...
    i guess no one got hurt, but i wish i had come out 5 minutes earlier to break someones arms...