1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

unfortunate moments as a bassist.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by derrick007, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ColdSteelRain

ColdSteelRain

Jul 27, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I tried that, but I ran out of ammo before I got out of the subdivision :ninja:

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Maybe youre girlfriend was in cahoots with the thief. If you stop hearing from her now, or soon, it'll all make sense.

3. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Saddest moment as a bassist...

My band played a little show at a BBQ on Saturday. There were about 50-75 people there. I noticed this really cute asian girl come and join the small crowd of people watching us play, and she was watching ME the whole time. I gave her a little nod and smiled in her direction.

During the next break, she came up and plucked the E string on my bass with a gleeful giggle! She said the low sound of the bass was really cool. Then she went and sat on my combo amp, a 1x15", 100W Fender job. On the inside, I was like "YES!!!" :p At the next break, she got off the amp, walked over to me, and said....

..."Can you make it vibrate less? It's kinda uncomfortable..."

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

4. Richo

Richo

May 26, 2008
    Sydney, Australia.

she's doing it wrong

5. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    You got my keyboard bill buddy! :D

6. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    ...that I played some gigs in the midst of fighting cancer and undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments...

:(

7. Way back when, I had a weekend gig teaching bass at what was predominately a keyboard shop. They had made arrangements to do a shopping centre blitz for more students and convinced me to attend.
    I brought my bass and Sunn combo amp. On the way home, i had my amp in the back of my covered pickup truck, I turned a corner and the amp fell over face first!!!!! I had forgotten to strap it down!
    Got it home, plugged it in... nothing but crackling and distortion!!!
    I had popped the voice coil on the speaker!!!! Cost me about $400.00 to replace it with a Gauss... sure sounded better than the original Sunn speaker, but also emptied my bank account.
    fishheadjoe

8. This past December, I bought my first upright, albeit on the cheap side, it has a great sound. I put about $450 into it, to get the fingerboard reshaped, a bunch of bridge work and a new heavy-duty endpin put in. After getting it back, I played it in school's jazz combo for about 2 hours. As we were leaving, the door for the rehearsal room ever so slightly grazed my scroll, and the neck sprung forward. The crack on the neck heel (poorly repaired prior to my owning the bass) had let go. Finally got the damn thing fixed up this summer. The good part: the latest neck repair cost me $150 less than my luthier had expected, I spent only about 30% of what I was expecting to spend on a bow, and I used the savings to get a deluxe bag.

The other twist of fate as of late is that I might not be able to gig much for the next year. I just graduated from undergrad, and I decided to take a year off before (attempting to get into) grad school, and I opted to stay in town. Well, there aren't that many opportunities, so I'll probably have to get a job working second shift or something. On the upside, it'll help me be able to pay for our wedding in May, help to pay off student loans, and help me save money for moving in spring. I'll also be able to practice a little more than I get to now.

9. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    At the Lakland Aniversary, I had my Peavey Bquad under the seat. ( I swear you couldn't see it) I figure it would be rude to try to sell a bass in someone elses factory, so not thinking I put up a for sale sign.... ::rollno:
    After an evening of hanging with the heroes, swapping Belushi storys with Duck Dunn, and Elvis Stories with Scheff. I goto my van, to find the screwdriver hole in the door and a empty case in the backseat.....
    I was old enough and experianced enough I knew better.

10. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Dropping my Rickenbacker 4003 down a two story flight of metal stairs after a gig in college.

I was standing at the top of the stairs and the handle of the case slipped right out of my hand. It was inside a hard shell case, and survived without being damaged. It was flying end over end down the stairway as I ran after it.

I was almost crying by the time I got down there and opened the case. I still can't believe (20 years later) it survived intact with just the case being smashed up and banged all to hell.

11. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    That's why nobody can convince me to go with just a soft-shell case. :ninja:

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Had it been a soft shell case it wouldnt have slipped out of his hand in the first place. :bag::D

13. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    +100000

14. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    :D

15. You should become a luthier and make your own basses. That's the only way I see for TB to co-exist with me living in this city in the future.

why was all that equipment in the van for the whole night in front o' the house?

anyway, awfull... really awfull.

girls...

girls...

16. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Haha, this post should be published! Depressed musos would go away cured of all ails :p

My worst moment...or night was a gig.

Nervous as hell because it was in a new place, we had a few friends there for moral support but it was a busy night and a very tough crowd...eep. Things started off with my beloved Trace Elliot cutting out because of a kacked-up fuse...switch to spare power lead - fine.

then some idiot messed about with the mixing desk resulting in howling feedback that plagued the rest of the night no matter how many knob-twiddles were made...got a pint on the go - also fine.

then the girl I was meant to be seeing decided to get with her ex halfway through the set.

Just one of those days... :scowl:

17. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    *sigh*....been there bro.:(

18. mavbass

mavbass

Dec 11, 2001
    AUS
    Once I fell asleep and fell on my a$$ whilst on stage....
    I was taking a solo at the time.

19. / \
    |
    |
    eh??
    Want to expand that story?

20. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I had two bad things happen to me during gigs with my first bass.

1. During the last song of the set, I got a bit jumpy and then all of a sudden felt that my bass was falling down. I assumed that the strap slipped out of the upper pin, although it shouldn't have. Turned out that the whole pin came out of the wood, and I had my solo in something like 4-6 bars. Somehow I managed to stay calm and did the solo with the bass on my knee.

2. Before another gig, I came to the place and left my bass unattended for a couple of minutes (I was after 12 hours shift and didn't want to carry stuff around). Turned out that someone made the bass fall down and the headstock cracked, making the G-string's tuner kinda loose. Needless to say, I didn't have a backup, and played with a kinda-tuned G. That pretty much sucked, but urged me to buy a normal instrument instead of that garbage.