1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

unfortunate moments as a bassist.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by derrick007, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    +1

What does this say? This says don't f*&# with our gear!

2. EXACT same thing happened to me and the bass I'mplaying in my avatar. I tried several new ASATs, but none of 'em sounded as sweet as 'Bleen':crying:

3. Reckless

Reckless

Jun 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Hmmm haven't posted in a while so I'll post here.

I would have to say my saddest moment(s) is having a band go no where. Only to realize that you've wasted a year and wrote music that will never be performed. Just to add the cherry on top, I'd also say realizing that that I spend more time rocking in my basement.

Oh well I'm still hanging in there. One of these I hope to find/put together a performing band.

4. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    sold my EBMM Stingray Blue Dawn from 2001, and then bought a Wishbass

5. gahpg

gahpg

Jun 30, 2007
    Brookfield IL
    why?

:facepalm:

also, what is the deal with gear and cars? You leave your car for 5 minutes and out of nowhere all your stuff is gone. It's like theres some magical spirit that follows us all around waiting for us to be stupid and take our gear away from us. The speed and the fact the thieves know you got something and that they got away so quick is baffling to me.

6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    LOL

7. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Beware the dark magic. :mad:

8. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    after a gig, almost late for work, get all my gear loaded up, putting nikki in her case. drummer asks for some help, after that you go to grab your bass and walk out.....

but as soon as you pick it up, the bass falls out because you did not lock it:scowl:

outcome: major *mojo......

*to me, its like the nicks and bangs that make the bass standout, yea it sucks when it gets dinged, but i learn to live with it...

9. I know how that goes, when I first got my jazz bass, i was really protective, now it's all punked out with band stickers.

My worst moment was leaving gear at a friend's house. We had been jamming at his house as a 3 piece for about two months. He called off band practice one weekend because his family was going on vacation. Someone must have overheard because they were robed! Everything was gone. TV's, furniture, his drum kit, my Acoustic amp and cab... If that cab had not been so heavy I would have taken it home after every practice. I want to kick myself everytime I think about it. Lesson of the day: always take your gear home no matter how late, or how tired you are.

10. Sorry, but these are EARNED "saddest moments" through negligence. Use a case, and ALWAYS place your gear so it can't fall, and you wouldn't have had either problem. If you don't have a case, carry an old blanket and wrap the bass in it.

Both of these incidents were completely preventable. I guess that's how we learn from our experiences. Hopefully the first time is the one we learn from, so we only have one "worst" experience....even better, if we read threads like this and learn from them.

11. Well, my saddest moment isn't really that bad at all but I'll say it anyway. I was at a friend's place and I'd just re-strung my t-bird and I lent it against a cabinet in his room so we could go get a drink and it slid off and it hit something, chipping a bit of the paint on the top of the body. I usually am more cautious but for some reason I didn't think that day, I'm glad that something more serious didn't result from my stupidity

12. jimmyjammer

jimmyjammer

Jul 28, 2008
    Australia
    One of my unfortunate moments was when, during my first 'real' tour, the rock band I was in hit the stage and I, being the young over-enthusiastic puppy I was back in them days, pulled a category-5 rock move... and put my back out.

For the rest of the 70 minute gig, all I could do was pull the occasional 'rock face'... whilst grimacing. Oh dear.

13. +1 to CapnSandwich.

The most unfortunate thing to happen to me was the slow realization that I might never be more than an amateur bassist & not go anywhere.

My engineering career, on the other hand, is enviable!

ian

14. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    in 2004 My bassist "JOHNNY BLAZE" Was thrown in the Clink for Assult with a deadly weapon - 2 counts - 1 on an officer, he was later diagnosed with Schizophrenia and spent some time in a mental hospital. when he was released he became an alcholic and drank himself to death.
    Johnny Blaze RIP 1981-2006
    I was the Guitarist, but now I play bass to remember my Friend... - And Because Cliff Burton Was the F@#$&^# Man!

15. Rich Guastella

Rich Guastella

Sep 15, 2008
    Here's a real kick myself in the ASS moment...I had an original Dan Armstrong Bass,(probablya 69-70's model)...and after playin on it for years I got tired of it being clear, (Whut?)...so I took it into a paint shop and had them paint it red!!!!....UUUGGGHHHH....yeah I know...."dumbass"

16. When I wrote off my first bass...

I'd gone to town to have a repair done to it (never did get it done) and the way I went, I went through my unversity for lunch.
    So after lunch I got slapdash, and put the gigbag back on my back with only one strap. I took off at a run, only to have the bag slide off my back, and land with a loud BANG on the ground. I was in such a hurry I picked it back up and ran off.

I decided at this point to just go back home, and so when I got back the first thing I did was get my bass out. It looked OK until I went to put it on its stand and a huge chunk of it came off.

I didn't play it after that and two months later I bought my Shergold anyway.

17. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I bought a Markbass 210 combo for the same price I could've gotten an Eden 405 and a 210 cabinet without even going to the other shop to try the Eden.

:(

18. aceshigh

aceshigh

Nov 6, 2006
    Canada
    ..on a wedding band some 20 years ago. We had this bass player called Maurice. We was a genius on fixing and altering electronic equipment. Not a very talented bass player but a good friend otherwise. One day he left his bass on his garage floor after practising and that night he ran over his bass with his car. It was totally ruined.

The week after the rest of the band got together and everyone kicked in sone 20 bucks or so (in today's money) and we bought a really cheap crappy bass. Nobody wanted to be the bass player anymore so I said "Oh well, give it to me, I'll play it while we don't find other guy".

And I've been playing bass for over 20 years now. Not THAT bass (knock on wood). Even switched to double bass about 2 years ago.

19. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    I call the nicks and cuts and dents "Character Flaws" My worst moment was unzipping my Lakland Skyline DJ from it's gig bag and have it dive neck first into my brother's frosted glass table. Huge character flaw on the neck at 12th fret but at least it didn't bust my brothers table

20. LOL! LOL!

Two big fat Em grooves by way of kudos for the best post in this thread!