1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

unfortunate moments as a bassist.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by derrick007, Sep 28, 2008.

1. CheeZit

CheeZit

Oct 5, 2008
    Im not sure if this exactly particular to bass, but I do play bass and it happened to me.

Anyways, I play in a metal band and I am really into putting on good stage shows for my crowds. So we were playing this show, at an outside venue. So I thought it would be a great opportunity for a guitar swing. Yeah...not such a great idea. We started playing one of our songs, and we paused and were about to go into our break-down. So I swung my bass at just the right time as so I could catch it just I needed to continue playing. As soon as the head got to about my back, I felt the strap give way and heard a loud CRACK! I looked down, and my bass was laying in 2 pieces on the stage(looked similar to Nikki Sixx's bass after he smashed his), I just looked down at it, then looked at my band. I went over a grabbed my other bass and came back into the song. The rest of the show went great. But I still can't get over my poor bass that got destroyed that day

EDIT: I did have strap locks on my bass, the strap just broke

2. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    This one is particularly bad, but it was sickening at the time...

I was a rehearsal with a jazz band, and we had a break half way through. I propped my bass up against the amp, and turned to go and get a drink. I took one step, and then someone shouted my name. I turned just in time to see the bass falling in slow motion. Big dent at the 7th fret. I had stupidly forgotten that the amp had wheels on it, and when I put the bass on the amp, it began to roll away, taking my bass with it :eyebrow:

3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Well, my story is a hindsight being 20/20 kinda thing....I had a first year JV Squier P-Bass. In the early '80's I started to mess around with it...changing parts.....etc. I eventually tore out the frets....put them back in, routed stuff and screwed around with it so much that I turned it into garbage. The sacrifice gave me the oppertunity to learn alot and today I work on instruments for many people. But I wish it had not been that bass the I learned on.