Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ungrateful SOB!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I have a little story to share. Despite what the title says, I'm not really upset (and this happened yesterday), so sit and relax.

My best friend Ben and I started a band 2 years ago with a drummer who had taken only 2-3 lessons before we played with him. He was an alright guy despite having different musical tastes and strict band practices times (practices had to be planned weeks in advance). He ended up going to a different high school than us (we kept with him), so the band took a big hit. He was always busy (even taking off a couple practices to hang with girls instead of us). He was a problem child for us.

However, 3 months ago, practices started to absolutely NEVER work with his schedule. He was always busy. We would call twice a week to never get an answer or a call back. So Ben and I finally got fed up and decided that it's over and that we needed to get the over $1000 of equiptment left at his house, which happened yesterday.

Apparently, Max didn't wait for us like we did for him. He had gotten into another band (screamo band, something Ben and I are definitely not) a few weeks before and they'd practice a couple times.... Max also forgot to mention that his new band used my equiptment (over $1000 worth), setting my 100 watt, 15 inch bass combo with full gain, full volume, and full EQ. I plugged my bass in with the current settings and it started to wildly feedback. Nevermind that they had been using my PA which is a much harder system to work properly.

In retrospect, I'm glad nothing is broken (though possibly minorly damaged. I'm also glad that Ben and I treated him with much respect, even though he treated pretty bad. It was a completely bitch move he pulled on us. However, there's just something to knowing that Ben and I kept "faithful" with the band under all the circumstances.... what can I say, it's refreshing that we did the right thing.

So that's my story, thanks for listening!

2. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    so have you kicked him out of the band? but u should be grateful to be be in a band, my band has taken a big flop, bein in a band where the guitar player is totally unrelaible and now the drummer is the same, but the drummer (my cuz) says he really wants to a practice and get things goin again, so i say how about sunday, and he says rr sundays not good, and am like.......ok whatever, becouse its the same ansswer all the time, and the thing is he is never actually buisey, hes usually just sitting around the house, but he goes on like he wants to be in a band and then when the time comes to actually do anything in a band they cant be bothered, and we've needed a new singer for 2 year now, and i sed ok lets do down to ur collage and have a little audition and ask round basily and just see what we can do, but he wasnt havin any of it, realllly gets on my nurves, i turned down an offer to be in another more serious band aswell to spend more time with them but danm i made the wrong decision lol

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

this calls for a sharp stick in the eye ... :bag:

seriously , don't worry about that twerp .
    just be glad your equipment didn't get damaged or " lost " ... :meh:

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    strip him naked, pack his crack with sand and throw him over the wall of the nearest prison....

5. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Uncool!!! :scowl:

I would NEVER play with that dude again! He showed you guys no respect at all by not even asking if he could borrow your stuff. If your stuff "broke" would he have replaced it? I hate these stories.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wouldn't bet on one of your speaker cones (bass OR P.A.) not being creased or stressed, or a voice coil warped or over-heated or otherwise compromised! Look VERY closely at the cones for slight little creases! A speaker is never the same after cone-stress like that, and should be REPLACED - and need-I-say "NOT by YOU, but by THEM"!!

Dude: I lend-out my equipment more freely than most, but in a situation like THAT - I'd be PISSED! I'm serious - they likely didn't hurt preamps or amps or anything, but what you described is VERY hard on speaker cones! ...Not to mention the TIME of your's that he wasted - and practically holding your equipment HOSTAGE in the mean-time.

I don't even want to talk about it anymore... The more I think about it, the more I'm getting pissed at YOU for NOT being pissed!

Peace, love and justice -

Joe

7. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Hey, at least you got your gear back, check on the cones, and go look for a new drummer!

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Finding out that your bass amp has been used with literally all possible knobs turned to '11' just makes you feel violated. If Bruce Banner found out someone had been abusing his bass amp, they wouldn't like him in such a state.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Really, Man; that happened to me just reading about it!

My wife wasn't even very understanding when I told her that Da Lady's post is the reason I came home last night with my hair all-messy, and only my pants on.

Joe

10. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    Lesson well learned...and many more to follow.

11. sounds like a jerk

lowsound

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's a no-no where I come from. I used to leave my 115 cab at my guitarist's and took my 210 and rack with me wherever I went. I knew their other bassist was using my cab and I was cool with it, but when there's no permission, HEADS WILL ROLL!

13. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Wow not only did he go behind your back, but his new band used your equipment without any permission.. :mad: I would be rather pi$$ed and that is a huge under statement! You handled the situation a lot better than many others would.

14. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    +1. I've had an acoustic bass guitar get "lost" after I had a falling out with a jamming buddy. And because I couldn't prove if it was him or his roommate, I got screwed.

I also had a snare drum get "lost" after a similar situation. Luckily, I worked that one out and got the guy to give me a piccolo snare.

Heck, that stuff happens anytime gear gets left anywhere. My small combo guitar amp and my SG got "lost" from my church a couple of weeks ago. If it doesn't show up in the next couple of days, we're going to start dealing with the insurance company. Let's hope for a low deductible.

But yeah. I know it's tough, but leaving gear at someone's house is usually a bad idea unless they have as much respect for your gear as you do.

Luckily, everything is still functioning in your gear. Good luck on the drummer search.

15. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I left my rig at my friends/guitarists house. I've known him for years now, since before I started playing bass, and know that he's a very competent individual, and very trustworthy. That said, for whatever reason, by head was not plugged into my cabinet, I don't know why, I would only unplug it to take the rig home. Regardless, when I wasn't there, he tried messing aroung with the amp, and fried it. But as soon as it happened, he called me up, let me know what happened, and offered to pay for any repairs. It sucks that the amp was fried, but I was never pissed, cuz he was really responsible about it. And the amp sounds awesome now.

16. Man that sucks, kick him to the curb and go on.

I once was in a band and we practiced at the guitarist house. Well the jerk was having a complete jam band over when we were not there. But he never told us, we found out indirectly.

One night when we were done, I pulled the fuse from my amp head and left.

Next practice I put the fuse back in (saying nothing of course) and the guitarist says to me that I should check my amp because somethings wrong with it. I ask how so? He says he happend to have a few "friends" over and when the bass player plugged in and turned on he got a really nasty shock!

Yep live and learn................

17. Jeet

Jeet

Dec 27, 2005
    man the same thing happend to my band, the lead singer started
    blowing off practices to go hang out with girls, then he quit :)

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    That fact that y'all did right by him, even though he didn't do the same for you, shines up your karma *and* your reputations. Other people who may want to play with you will know that you will treat them fairly. And if people find out that he ditched you, he may not be a very popular choice among local musicians, if the screamo thing doesn't work out. Maybe that will teach him to be fair and honest? No one wants to play with someone who will just go join another band behind everyone's back.

Cherie