Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unhappy ebay buyer, what to do

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassikLee, May 3, 2005.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    OK, so I listed a Peavey Rockmaster GTR pre on ebay, and this guy buys it. First he says he can't get it to change channels, etc. I explain that the rockmaster is odd in that it needs the footswitch in order to change channels. OK, so now he's had it a week, gets a footswitch, and emails me saying the unit will change channels, but that the crunch channel sounds bad, and he wants a refund. This is a 10+ year old piece of tube gear, which has now been sent across the country. I am not Guitar Center. I feel that if the unit is doing everything it is supposed to be doing, I am in the clear. The fact that he doesn't like the tone isn't my problem, right??

What would you do if in my shoes??

Thanx,

Lee

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    has he left feed back for you yet?

I would do nothing... but risk of bad feedback... which sucks abit...

You can tell him to pay for shipping back and give back plus fees you paid... so whatever money - shipping both ways and - money you paid on ebay etc... probebly comes out to nothing and he will give up:)

Good luck
    Cheers

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Unless you offered a warranty or a return, and if the unit is working as it is intended to, he is S.O.L.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    If the unit is WORKING and the only problem he has with it is the fact that he doesn't like the tone, that is NOT your fault.

If there is a problem with the unit that it did NOT have when you shipped it, then it is HIS responsibility to take it up with the shipping company. I'm assuming you insured it?

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tell him to pound sound and make sure he knows that if he negs you with no good reason to, you'll be glad to return the favor.

6. I'd tell him to spend a week more with it . . try replacing some tubes . . . . If he still doesn't like it then buy it back . . . I'd even pay for the shippping back.

Regards,
    Mark F. Sanderson

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Have him look up the following phrase:

Caveat Emptor

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Definately make sure he checks the tubes out. For all you knwo he may have heard the X bassplayer used on on X album and is unhappy cause it doesn't sound the same. If the thing works, then that's his problem. He pays shipping both ways if you do decide to take it back. As a seller, I can say it is vital that you always leave feedback AFTER the buyer in order to give yourself padding to react to the situation. If you make him happy and he's a pain in the butt but leaves good feedback, you can still blast him with a negative PITA since he can't change hsi good rating (he can follow-up comment though)

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good advice. Let us know what you do.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Why? What is your reasoning for this?

Would you be able to take back a used piece of equipment to a store just because you weren't satisfied with what it sounded like?? No.

He bought the unit---if he wants his money back, it is his obligation to sell it, not the seller's to buy it back.

11. My reasoning (if you wish to call it that), is that any bad feedback - regardless of cause - isn't worth it. As a price of doing business, you might run into some doofusses . . . . cleanup the mess and move on. I had some guy try to pull something similar on something that I sold. He had claimed that it was damaged an defective etc . . . I simply told him to wrap it up and ship it with a shipping receipt and I'll refund it with shipping. Or he keeps it. No middle ground. There are people that want to have 'partial refunds' based on some non-existant condition problems. He backed down and gave me good feedback and he's now happy with the purchase. I also have in my auctions a requirement that the user have at least a 10 rating and 98% positive, and a PayPal account before bidding. Doesn't necessarily have to use PayPal - but must have it. If they don't match the requirement - cancel the bid and put them on the @#$% list. Will this eliminate problems - no - it wil minimize it. If my 'dissatisfied' customer had persisted - 100% refund + shipping. I wouldn't even leave feedback . . . just move on . . .

Regards,
    Mark F. Sanderson

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I suppose it has to do with the fact that I just don't care about bad feedback, especially considering the fact that I can follow up with his statement with the true facts of the situation.

Furthermore, I don't sell enough stuff to matter, and guess what....I can always get a new username if some k00k leaves me bad feedback.

In my opinion, catering to people like that only furthers the cause. He bought the equipment and it functions perfectly. Just because it's not the sound he wanted does not justify me having to go through the trouble of re-selling it.

13. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    OK, so the guy is now saying the unit isn't working right on the crunch channel. My reply to that was "dude, you bought a 10yr old piece of tube gear, and it was working last week, now it isn't, what gives??" So NOW he "offers" to fix it if I buy the tubes, and he'll resell it. I think I'll direct him to this thread, and tell him to pound pavement.....

Lee