Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unhappy w/Pass.-Act. combo in Spector..PLEASE Help!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrboogle, Nov 8, 2003.

1. mrboogle

mrboogle

Feb 3, 2003
    I got a spector w/active eq and passive pups(both spector design BY emg), and I dont like the sound of it. I love the way the bass feels, but I cant help thinking it would sound 20 times better if it had the right guts.

I also have an all passive fender and I LOVE the sound of it, but its not too great to slap on.I cant help but wonder what the spector would sound like w/the same insides as the fender.

Are active systems generaly better or made for slap technique???

For some reason I'm thinking its the active/passive combination thats making me dislike it so.
    What do you think of those setups in general???

I'm lookn for a big gutsy ballsy tone like i get w/the fender, but w/the output and smoothness of actives. Any suggestions are appreciated, just please let me know WHY your preference sounds cool, so I might try and guess if I would like the tone as well.

Thank You!!!!!!

2. I have the EMG' s in my Yamaha p/j configuration and I hate the tone for any type of music.

I do like the same configuration but passive. Have you considered putting Passive pups in your Spector? Try it, you can steal slap yourself happy, with great tone!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er... He already has passive pups in his Spector. :confused:

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I have a Spector REX2000/5 with EMG HZ passive pups and an active EMG BTS preamp. It sounds great!

I also have an NS5CR, with EMG DC40 pups (active) and the same EMG BTS preamp - thi salso sounds fantastic....in fact it is a better sounding bass than the REX... the REX has about 90% of the output and about 85% of the tonal control of the Czech one!

What model is yours?

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Got Johnny BoomBoom's back on this one...I have two Korean Spector 5 strings. The neck thru has the DCs, the bolt on has the HZs. They both have BTS pres and I run both at 18v (you may try that!) I find I only use the bolt on with the HZs for practice at home...the tone and sound of the neck thru just blow the bolt on away, and it's pretty much the same bass, or fairly similar I guess I should say (the bolt on has a bit heavier body, not as contoured) Why they stopped making the Korean neckthrougs...but I digress...anyway, That Canadian $1000 bass now sounds like a $2500 bass, with a $300 investment...to me it's totally worth it...

...but try running he preamp at 18vs first, and see how it sounds after that, you may like it.

6. mrboogle

mrboogle

Feb 3, 2003
    Well,....actually I am currently running on an 18v (neckthrough;love those:) NS2A, one of the late 80s Korean models.

I have tried the brand new all active spectors, and though not all of them, most of them did sound qiute a bit punchier, clearer, and in general just plan livlier than mine.

I'm really wanting to blame it on the cheaper SSDesign BY Emg electronics, get an ernieball stingray model humbucker to replace the worthless puny sounding j singe coil and an active emg or some other brand to replace the current p pickup.

I'm just confused on what sort of electronics would do what to that knda set-up. Obviously, theres only one way to find out, but I was hoping for some more opinions.

What would you all say is a good p pup for funky slap tones?? Meaty, deep, thick, bouncy.....

Same for elctronics??
    I figure since I already have a passive bass, I might as well get all the activity I can out of the other one. thank ya

7. My bad, I meant to go completely passive.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, I'm thinking that you maybe just want to upgrade your pickups and premap. Get a full on EMG BTS pre (or maybe an Aguilar - they seem to go down well) and the fully active EMG pickups. Not sure what the designtatio is for the P-J pickups - this is what would have been used on the Euro Spector 4 strings over the past few years - and people seemed to love 'em!

Just a thought!

9. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    I also have a neck thru Korean Spector, but I'd like to know the wiring to use two batteries in series ?

Thanks

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    EMG 18V wiring instructions

There you go...:D

11. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    Thanks.
    Exactly what I need :D