Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unhappy with EMG on MIM Jazz!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Aug 4, 2001.

1. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hi talkbassists! :)

As I was saying in my other thread, I bought EMG Jazz Vintage PUs and installed them a week ago on my MIM jazz.

So this is the result: I HATED it! I finally understood what some people tried to define as a "tong", "hot", "cold" and "clear" sound...

Maybe I didn´t have time to get used to it, but I dont know... At my band´s rehearsal it sounded "ok".

But Im thinking seriously at replacing them with the STOCK mexican pick-ups !!! (only problem was HUM...)

Theres a guy wanting to sell a pair of BARTOLINIS... dont know wich model... what you people think?

Help!!! :))

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    The EMGs have a percussive slap sound that I liked.

I have no idea how bartolinis are for slap... :(

3. I prefer the stock MIM over many other pickups I've heard. I replaced the stock pups in my MIA but I won't touch the MIM, they sound great live and recorded, i have no hum problems. Maybe i'm lucky.

4. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Very strange... :]
    What did you put on your MIA ?

5. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    could someone else help me?

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Boogie -

Hey, before you go ripping your EMGs out, why don't you try running them at 18V?

I've A/B'd bass EMGs at 9V and 18V (using one of the cute little temporary harnesses shown here - look at figure three), and 18V really makes EMGs perk up and roar.

Get one package of 9V battery leads from Radio Shack (about a buck), and see for yourself. If you like it, solder the leads in as shown.

EMGs are very versatile pickups, and just about any sound can be wrung out of them.

7. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thank you!

In fact I´ve already tried 18v and it sounded a little better... if I stay with emg I´ll do that mod.

But as cruise4 says maybe I need a passive replacement, so I talked to the guy of the bartolini and he´ll let me put it on my bass as a try. ;)

The luthier who does the repairs for me has the basslines catalog... it may be an option...

Paulo.

8. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    forgot to say: I WANTED Dimarzio, but couldn´t find it anywhere around here.
    :(

9. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I just wanna say that with the Barts (single coils i think) i found the tone I was after.

Only problem = noise. almost as noisy as the original MIM's. It's worse when i put the bass laying down on my bed, no matter i touch the strings or not.

I dont know if it needs cavity shielding or comes from the pickups...

Maybe i'll post a thread about that...

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just because you installed Barts, it is still a MIM. Nothing wrong with that, but before you get too caught up with the noise, try replacing the pots with premium quality pots and replace the rest of the wiring and reshield the bass. This should significantly lower the noise.

Chas

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Good point, Chas. Boogie, are you using the EMG pots, or the original MIMs?

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, and let me know if you want to dump those nasty old EMGs cheap, will 'ya? ;)

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Since the EMG setup is prewired and the stock MIM pots are definitely the wrong value to use (and will screw up the sound big time) I would HOPE he's using the EMG pots :eek:

So what's wrong with the EMG sound anyway?

14. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    hehe
    I'm in Brazil and stuff here have higher prices... I often cry looking at Ebay bargains... :rolleyes:

I´m using the MIM pots. The Emg ones wouldn´t work with passive barts i think.

Thanks Chasarms for the advice. I didn´t know there were better passive pots!

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i prefer tha fender'62 reissue pickup. if you could have a chance, try them!