Unhappy with Ernie Ball Super Slinky 5s :(

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 26, 2004.

1. I just bought a set of those new EB Super Slinky 5s (.040-.125) after trying to hunt them down all over town.

The previous set was Rotosound Swing Bass 665s, which were of the same gauge. When I first put them on last August, they sounded and felt like the best strings I ever used on that bass, but I thought that had much to do with the gauge.

Needless to say I wasn't very happy with the new strings. They feel "cheap." And this is not a slam against EB, I tried a set of slinkys years (med gauge) ago, and thought they were okay. The fingerstyle tones are fine, but I'm not happy with the slap tones. ESPECIALLY the way the G sounds when it's slapped...Also I kinda missed the red cloth ends on the Rotosounds.

Man. What to do...Am I gonna have to live with these strings for the next few months?

I guess the silver lining in this cloud is that Swing Bass 665s are the set for me.
  2. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I used to put EB super slinkys on my stingray 4, but I got sick of them breaking and and not sounding so sweet. I tried a lot of strings over the course of 1 year until I settled on Rotosounds. Great strings! The set I have on now are S.I.Ts and they sound great too. I always thought D`Addarios felt and sounded like fencing wire. Just my 2 cents. :cool: