Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unhappy with Ernie Ball Super Slinky 5s :(

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 26, 2004.

1. I just bought a set of those new EB Super Slinky 5s (.040-.125) after trying to hunt them down all over town.

The previous set was Rotosound Swing Bass 665s, which were of the same gauge. When I first put them on last August, they sounded and felt like the best strings I ever used on that bass, but I thought that had much to do with the gauge.

Needless to say I wasn't very happy with the new strings. They feel "cheap." And this is not a slam against EB, I tried a set of slinkys years (med gauge) ago, and thought they were okay. The fingerstyle tones are fine, but I'm not happy with the slap tones. ESPECIALLY the way the G sounds when it's slapped...Also I kinda missed the red cloth ends on the Rotosounds.

Man. What to do...Am I gonna have to live with these strings for the next few months?

I guess the silver lining in this cloud is that Swing Bass 665s are the set for me.

2. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I used to put EB super slinkys on my stingray 4, but I got sick of them breaking and and not sounding so sweet. I tried a lot of strings over the course of 1 year until I settled on Rotosounds. Great strings! The set I have on now are S.I.Ts and they sound great too. I always thought D`Addarios felt and sounded like fencing wire. Just my 2 cents. :cool: