1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unhappy with the string spacing at the bridge on my Squier Jazz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Webtroll, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The bridge on my Squier Jazz keeps the strings a little on the close together side, and on top of that there's plenty of space outside the strings on the neck. Are there Fender style bridges available with wider string spacing? Or am I going to need a bridge with adjustable width saddles? I have 3 different Fender style bridges including a Gotoh which only kind of looks like a Fender bridge. The bass is in the shop at the moment so I don't have any pics to post.

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
  3. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the suggestion, but if I get a roller bridge I'll probably just splurge on a Kahler tremolo. I don't really care for them but it would have the spacing option. I was hoping someone sold standard Fender style bridges in different widths. Oh well, it didn't hurt to ask.

Much.

:cry:

4. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I thought about that but heard horror stories about what happens to the chrome finish when you slot it. Does anyone know how wide you can go with that approach? It doesn't look like a Fender bridge but on the other hand Fender does use them OEM (sometimes) and it's a common enough replacement to not look too strange. Thanks for the input!

5. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    seems like with a wider bridge it would make it awkwardly wide at the body and close at the nut, might want to look into a new nut too

6. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    it's in the shop to get a new nut already :) going with unsterilized bone (is that the right term?). not as white as regular bone nuts but it has some lubricating properties i like, this will be my second bass with this material.